Search

Driving to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:12 PM
June

Driving to Rome

I'll be heading south from Rapolano Terme area to Rome. Was going to drop the car off in Orvieto and train to Rome. Now I'm considering driving all the way. Which area is the easiest to drive to. I have a few options for car rentals, so I'll wait for any suggestions before I settle on which car rental.<BR>Thank you, June

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:31 PM
Wayne

June---I'm not sure which areas you are thinking of when you ask your question. Assuming you are asking whether it is easier to drive to Rome than to Orvieto, the answer is that if you go east on highway S326 out of Rapolano Terme and then south on the autostrada to Rome, you'll reach Orvieto much quicker than you'll get to Rome. It should take you only a couple of hours to get to Orvieto, where you can turn in your car and get a train to Rome. However, once you are on the autostrada, you have good highway all the way to Rome or to the Rome airport. Given the choice of going all the way to Rome versus the train from Orvieto, I'd turn in the car in Orvieto and take the train into Rome. If I were going directly to the Rome airport, I'd keep the car and drive all the way to the airport to turn it in.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:54 PM
Rex

I never thought it was ALL that hard to drive into Rome - - though sometimes it feels like it will take forever, especially if you come in Nomentana. Still the stop in Orvieto might be something I would do - - if only for the reason of wanting to see Orvieto!<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:35 AM
up

up<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:58 AM
VickiV

We drove into the Vatican area and stayed at the Hotel Nova Domus (Quality). It was a great neighborhood, and parking was available at the hotel. We didn't touch the car until we were ready to leave, and after seeing the traffic, we were glad we did!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Janda Otavalo

I would take the train. We have driven through Rome. Not something I would do again. Save yourself a big headache and take the train.<BR> Janda

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:38 AM
cherry

We have just returned from Rome, my husband and i...spent four days driving around Rome, around Tuscany, Pisa, Lucca, Collodi , Prato and Florence. We found staying on the back road the likes of S2 was mighty easy and thoroughly wonderful. We found the Michelin Italia map and Michelin 430 very helpful.We found the autostrada a tad bit too dull unless you like speeding on long straight roads.. I would not say driving in Rome is absolutely safe but if you think you can survive KL or Singapore traffic, you might as well drop off the car at the Termini train station. Seriously,I agree with Wayne, I would suggest that you drive all the way to Rome via autostrada, perhaps a quick pit stop at Orvieto(nice place) won't hurt,drive on and drop the car at the airport. I am sure some people have had different experiences driving in Rome, but we found Prato a little trying.Trust me, you would enjoy the sightseeing better if you drive than taking the train. We took the train from Florence to Venice,and the tunnels we had to pass through were instant anti-climax. I would have chosen an uninterrupted scenic route if I had known any better. My advise would be, plan your routes and time carefully, and avoid driving after dark...Good Luck!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 11:53 AM
June

Message: Thanks, Wayne. I meant which area of Rome was the easiest to drive to (i.e.the airport, train station, other car rental deposits). This is my first trip to IT...driving might be tricky anywhere, never mind in and about Rome. I believe I'll choose a car now and plan on dropping it off in Orvieto, spend the day there and train to Rome, and walk or cab to Hotel. Grazie mille, June

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 12:09 PM
June

Thanks everyone...I will have a car for one week in Tuscany prior to finishing up in Rome (so driving the backroads is on the agenda), and we do have "business" in Orvieto, and Auto Europe contracts with Avis (who has a base in Orvieto right near the train station), making it that much more inviting to relax on the way to Rome on a train. (I think I have the last of my reservation choices decided...ton of work this is, eh?)<BR>Thanks, June

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Belle

Somewhat same dilemma. Driving from Siena, Rome hotel near Central Station. Rent a car drop off available at Central station. Would you change your mind about driving into Rome if it was a Sunday morning around noon and you could drive in CHicago traffic without too many problems? I hate to spend the time & money to return car to airport just to take train into city.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Rex

&lt;&lt;driving into Rome if it was a Sunday morning around noon and you could drive in Cnicago traffic without too many problems?&gt;&gt; <BR><BR>I think that you will do fine.<BR>