Search

london theatre

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 10:40 AM
jo

london theatre

Does anyone know a website that shows what 1/2 price theater tickets are offered daily at the booth in Leicester Square. I came across a listing recently while researching<BR>plays and I didnt bookmark it. <BR> Also if anyone has recommendations for plays they have seen in London lately? I ve looked at some theater websites and its overwhelming. I am going midmay. thanks

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Julie

I will be going to London in July and have had sme close friends that have already visited. The hightlight of their trip was going to see a play in Shakespeare's Globe Theatre (as featured in the movie Shakespeare in Love) The cost ranges from 5pounds in the yard (standing only) to 27pounds for the best seats in the theatre. I beleive that 12th Knight is playing there in may. It would definately be a different experience than you typical black tie theatre event! You can even book tickets online.<BR>http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/home.htm<BR>hope this is helped you some!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 02:13 PM
xxxxx

You all remember the famous play, 12th Knight! It's about Sir Dozen.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Alex

try this link : http://www.tkts.co.uk/<BR><BR>Keep in mind that they're selling whatever shows that night are on the "push" list so the selection will vary. typically, the long-running shows will routinely be available but I wouldn't hold out much hope if you want to see something that opened recently.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 03:50 PM
xxxxx

12th Knight - you can't be serious!!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Alex

maybe it was a sequel to First Knight that came out last year...

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:13 PM
mjs

Highly recommend My Fair lady. Did not care for Lion King. My kids however liked it. Mousetrap was fun.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Julie

Did I say that I was going to see 12th knight? No. I was offering a suggestion, and since the play is hundreds of years old and there are still people going to see it there must be something good about it!?!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Hugger

<BR>Julie, they are being snotty. The play is 12th Night.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Leslie

Jo, the answer is no. The list changes daily, and besides it would be misleading to post a list as someone might actually rely on that list and find out that even the 1/2 price tickets for a specific performance were sold out.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:02 PM
xxxxxxx

Sure, I'd listen to someone's theatre suggestions who actually thinks the play is called 12th Knight. She probably also likes the famous Jewish musical Katz, and the show about the stingy little man who stole the loaf of bread, Les Miser Ables, and the famous London musical about the ticket girl in the Underground -- My Fare Lady.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Julie

Okay, so I'm short a couple marbles, way up here in Canada they tell us that once you know Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet that you can be as snobbish as you want!!!<BR>Oh well, I appreciate that you so nicely set me straight

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:49 PM
x

xxxxxxx, you truly made me laugh. Very creative post.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:58 PM
KenCT

12th Knight reminds me of a conversation in the faculty cafeteria many years ago. One of the English teachers, very much the grande dame, announced to everyone that she was having problems with Richard "the third". At which point one of the art teachers helpfully suggested that she give him a detention.<BR><BR>Regarding the original question: The Citysearch website regularly updates what's available at the New York TKTS, but I know of none that does the same for London.<BR><BR>The site Alex provided gives lots of good information, but not that,<BR><BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:01 PM
elaine

If there is a show you really wish to see in london, book by calling the theatre and charge to your plastic. i was in london last month. Top tickets to get are the full monty, my fair lady, and the lion king. we loved the full monty. Broadway cast and the British have given it rave reviews. You can also go around to the theatres and buy your tickets at the box office for shows that have been playing for awhile...Phantom, Chicago, Les Miserables. The TKTS line does get good seatsjust for the less popular and longer running shows but you need to be there at 10am and when we went for a Sat night, there was not much choice but I'd seen so many already. Favorites that are on TKTS are The Complete Works of Shakespeare (hilarious), The Woman in Black..only if the seats are good, Art, and the musical Fame. You'll just have to figure out how valuable is your time since getting tickets can cut into your touring day. I've done the Globe and that was a great experience -- saw a funky Macbeth but avoid using Tickettron. They booked me for a night that there was no play. The box office saw the error in the computer and made a great effort and got us into a sold out show. This was in June on a weeknight. Musicals are usually 40 lbs. and TKTS can be 17 lbs. But there is a wealth of theatre and it's all so accessible. Enjoy.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:10 PM
xxxxxxx

Also don't miss the new American musical import, The Full Mounty, about a nudist Canadian police officer.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 08:00 PM
janis

Wo't get into the 12th Knight / full Mounty discussions.<BR><BR>But it is erroneous to state that "the<BR>long-running shows will routinely be available but I wouldn't hold out much hope if you want to see something that opened recently". Most plays and musicals in London show up at the 1/2 price booth - even brand openings with big name stars. I got 1/2 price tix to Private Lives with Alan Rickman and the Royal Family with Judi Dench very early during their runs.<BR><BR>The ones you will not see at 1/2 price include My Fair Lady, Mama Mia and most anything produced by Cameron Mackintosh (just his philosophy)

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 10:22 PM
scaltreto

Are the prices listed on the London Ticket Guide (which you reach after you have clicked onto the TKTS logo) the price that you actually pay at the TKTS booth; i.e. is the ticket listed at 36 pounds considered the half price or is it half of the 36 pounds (18 pounds)? Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Patrick

It would be half of the 36 pounds. Be aware that normally only the most expensive tickets are handled at the official half price booth, although they are sold at half price plus a small handling fee. If price is your main object you can often get cheaper tickets directly at the theatre -- but of course they will not be as good as the seats you get at the half price booth.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 08:14 AM
ben

go to site www.londontheatre.co.uk you can get a one-week free membership--it gives list of shows that are available that week at 1/2 price it also lists those shows that were soldout at theatre. another good site is www.theatremonkey.com it gives reviews of shows but even better it evaluates the seating in each theatre based on cost vs. value--i used the info when ordering tickets. Other useful sites-- www.lastminute.com www.ticketmaster.co.uk they sell tickets with small fee usually 1.5 pounds and you can pick up tickets at box office--sometimes they even have some discounts for certain days. was in London in March saw 10 shows in 13 nights. recommendations South Pacific, Mamma Mia, My Fair Lady, My One and Only, Kiss Me Kate, Les Miserables. Lion King is okay if you have kids with you. If you go to Natioal Theatre on day of performance{10 a.m.} for South Pacific they put about 60 seats on sale they are the lowest price 14 pounds are in first two rows and are actually very good-a local told me about it and I got them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -