Driving to Pompeii

Dec 20th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Mary

Driving to Pompeii

If we choose to drive to pompeii in July from Rome, how easy is it to get parking there at that time of year? I understand that there is a parking lot across the road, but are we likely to get a spot? ALSO, is it possible to drive up to Vesuvius with your own vehicle, or is it safer to take a bus tour?

Dec 20th, 2002, 09:44 PM
gb

We drove there two years ago in June, and did not have difficulty parking. We actually parked in town near the cathedral and walked to the ruins. There was some difficulty in finding the correct exit from the main highway. There was a clear exit to Pompei. The exit was before the city, and then,the next one was the next city. Supposedly, there is a little sign saying take this exit for the ruins, but we didn't see it. The driving in the area can be tense. We didn't go up Vesuvius because local friends advised us not too. They said views were better elsewhere and that you couldn't see in the volcano. So we didn't.

Dec 20th, 2002, 11:41 PM
abc

Not sure about the driving things, but Gbindenver is wrong, you can see in the volcano and I thought the views were rather good from there.

Dec 21st, 2002, 04:09 AM
Ian

Mary

Parking is easy at Pompeii, it's the driving that's difficult.

Just down the hill from the main entrance, are numerous restaurants that have parking in their laneways for 5 - 10 Euro. I think if you eat lunch there, the parking is free. We just paid.

A little further down the same road I think that I noticed more parking.

Pompeii is just off the autostrade. It is well signed.

Dec 21st, 2002, 05:10 AM
Ian

Mary

Just to elaborate a bit . . .

Once you exit off the autostrade, it can get confusing. You have to cross under it (heading west???) to get to Pompeii. This road (assuming you find the right one) is very busy with buses & trucks. The 1st left (and left again) after the underpass is the entrance to the northbound autostrade & its toll booths. If you do one left, and then go straight (rather than the second left) you go thru a gate & up a small hill to Pompeii's entrance. This is where the buses disgorge & there is no car parking. You want to walk up this hill, not drive.

So, don't turn left & park in the restaurant laneways on your right or bulk parking further down.

We skipped Vesuvius (next trip), but I understand that there is parking about 3/4 the way up (the buses stop here too). Then you walk to the rim.

Dec 21st, 2002, 07:09 AM
David

Personally, I found that there were multiple public parking lots just past the entrance to the ruins...in fact our car rental company (EuropCar) had an arrangement that we could park for free at several of them. So if you're renting a car, when you pick it up in Rome, tell them you'll be going to Pompeii and see if they have such an agreement.

Dec 21st, 2002, 07:45 AM
Ian

David

We had AutoEurope too - from Rome. They certainly didn't volunteer the info.

I never thought to ask, but we were on a 10 day tour & I was more concerned about the driving rather than the parking . . .

Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:05 AM
az

Mary--If you travel by car, look for signs to Pompeii Scavi ("ruins"), not Pompeii, or you will wind up in the city of Pompeii. There is ample parking near Pompeii Scavi.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:25 AM
gb

THanks about the volcano-so well will see it next trip too.
But, as for landing at the ruins or the city of Pompei, that statement confuses me. The ruins are sort of in the city, at the northern edge. One of the ruin entrances is just a few blocks from the center square of Pompei city.
On our drive, we passed the scavi exit and ended up in the next city. That was quite a hair raising drive back to Pompei.
In fact, if you want info on a place to stay, we stayed a very nice and inexpensive family agritourismo there (selected by our friends) and they took us to a really great pizza restaurant. (Both of which having a car is essential) I don't know why our friends told us not to go up Vesuvius. Maybe there was a problem at the time of our visit. In addition, if you are driving to Pompei, you should go early in the morning. It is very hot in July, and gets uncomfortable in the afternoon.Also, Sorrento is very close by, and well worth spending some time visiting in the early evening. (It took about 3 hours to drive from Rome to Pompei)

Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:57 PM
Carolina

If you decide not to drive, it's really easy to get there by train. You take a fast train to Naples and the circumvesuviana to Pompeii Scavi (site).
trenitalia web site has details of times etc.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
Greg W

GB,

Can you share the name and any other info you have on the agriturismo near Pompeii?

We will be in Italy next June and would like to visit Pompeii before we depart from Rome. We are looking for a family friendly place to stay for a couple days in that area.

Thanks,

GW