Driving to Cinque Terre

Sep 30th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Driving to Cinque Terre

We will be arriving in Milan in the late evening and staying near the airport before picking up our rental car the next morning to drive to Cinque Terre for a stay at Hotel Porto Roca.

The obvious itinerary is Milan to Parma (where I understand there is a big fair that day), and then on to La Spezia, and into the direction of Monterosso.

My question is about the driving itself ~
easy? difficult? straight-away? And then, along the coast, strenuous? Monte Carlo/Sorrento to Positano - scary?!

Any remarks would be appreciated.
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:45 AM

My friend and I have driven from Florence to Monterosso, Santa Margharita, Genoa to Milan. On another trip we drove from Naples to Sorrento, Positano, Ravello and Paestum (please excuse mis-spellings). I've always been the navigator, not the driver; but my friend actually enjoys these drives. Many of the roads are narrow and very twisty, but if you take it slow, it's not bad at all, and the scenery is spectacular. I believe it's more scary for the passenger than the driver!
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:20 AM

My husband and I drove from Florence to Monterosso and found the drive pleasant and easy. There are a couple of turns in La Spezia but there are signs to Cinque Terre posted. Just have a good road atlas. Be sure to find out where you can park at your hotel in Cinque Terre b/c parking is very limited.
Jan 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Mia

TOP....
Jan 8th, 2006, 10:09 PM

I go to the Cinque Terre very often as I have family friends there. The more direct route would seem to be to from Milano via Genoa (direct highway), then down the Riviera di Levante coast. It will take you about 3 1/2 hours. Monterosso al mare is the first town you will approach coming from the north. Unless, of course, you would rather go via Parma, then La Spezia. Be aware that the roads are indeed very curvy and narrow with hair-pin turns. Often traffic stops at the top or around the curves, to allow larger vehicles to pass first. Parking is also difficult in the CT due to the limited size of the towns. However, the Hotel Porto Roca should provide a space for you with no problem. Another option would be to drive the car to La Spezia and leave it there (turn it back in), then hop on the local 5-digit train for the 18 min ride up to Monterosso. Once in the CT, you won't ever need your car as you can walk/hike, take the local trains, and even boats from town to town with ease. Upon your departure from the CT, you could then pick up another vehicle in La Spezia for your route southward to the Amalfi Coast. Just some suggestions....

Search this Thread