travelling to livorno

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travelling to livorno

Hi,

I'm new at travelling to europe. I'm coming from the United States and I would like to visit my friend in Livorno, Italy.

May I ask anyone who could give me some information... what is my destination airport if i want to go to livorno? ... is it the Pisa Airport? ... then from the airport, what mode of transportation to take to Livorno?

I greatly appreciate any information that could help me in my travel. Thanks very much
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Yes, the Pisa airport is the closest to Livorno. From the airport you could take a taxi to Livorno as it's not that far. You could also take a bus but may have to transfer in Pisa.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM

I think you can also take the train to Pisa Centrale and change there for a train to Livorno.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks very much Grinisa and Intrepid1... i'm glad to have posted the question in this forum... i will research some more on both your options
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM

I have friends that live in Livorno that I go visit yearly. Livorno is a very convenient harbor city on the Tuscan coast. You can base yourself there and go to nearly every city in Tuscany with ease via the convenient trains from Livorno Centrale. You can also go from there to Corsica (Bastia), which I have done as well.

The easiest airport is indeed Pisa; however, you may not find many flights going into that airport as it is small. I usually fly into the Milano Malpensa airport, take the Malpensa Shuttle (white bus) from the airport into town for arrival at Milano's Centrale Train Station. From there to Livorno Centrale, it's a 4 hour train ride (with a stop in either Florence or Genoa). Alternatively, the train from Pisa to Livorno is only 15 minutes away and very convenient. I have taken it numerous times.

Have your friend take you to the "Il Terrenia" area in Livorno on the coast that has miles of beaches to lay out on, sidewalk cafes and a young beach scene atmosphere. It is a fun place to go!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

this forum has been most helpful... i've gathered good info from all of you... this will truly help me prepare for my travel... thank you Huitres
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Not sure if you want any more tips, but a favorite restaurant of mine in Livorno is "La Vecchia Senese" (Via Del Tempio, 14) located in the piazza near the duomo. If you go to the pizza side of the restaurant (the more casual side), you can choose from over 15 varieties of pizza at very reasonable prices (5-10 euros a pizza). They also sell beer, sodas, etc and there are TVs going with the local soccer matches on. A lot of locals go there for great pizza! The other side of the restaurant offers indoor and outdoor dining in a more formal, seated atmosphere and is equally good, albeit more expensive (dinner for 2 cost me 35,00 euros last year).

There is also a very famous gelato place in Livorno that everyone goes to - I have forgotten the name but went there often. They have very good gelato and it is frequently packed with people. I am sure your friend knows about it.