Driving time questions

Search

Driving time questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving time questions

Hi. I have two questions in regard to actual driving time...

Broadway to Stonehenge

Stonehenge to Heathrow

Is there a site that gives this information other than a standard map? Thanks. Helene
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM

I would try viamichelin.com and mappy.com

Natalie
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Which Broadway, there's several hundred in the UK?

Also try www.theaa.com or www.rac.co.uk
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

It's the Broadway in the northern Cotswolds. I tried the sites that were listed and they helped me out. Thanks. Helene
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My guess Helene means the village of Broadway in Worcestershire

BTW - while those sites are good be sure to add 20% to maybe 30% to the drive times (unless you are a local and know the "get arounds" when things back up)
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Oh - Helene's post wasn't there when I started - was interupted.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Janis...From previous threads, I knew to add to the driving time. Now that Morgana and you have planned the part of the trip through the Dales, I have a few other questions to ask you. We are leaving York for Broadway on Wednesday. Our plan is to explore Broadway, Chipping Camden, Stow, and Bourton on Wednesday and Thursday. My husband really wants to see Stonehenge which is out of the way from what I can tell. On Friday we will be leaving for London from Broadway. Here are my questions:

Is the Wednesday and Thursday plan doable?

On Friday, is it feasible to visit Oxford and then after visit Stonehenge?Keep in mind, we will then need to drop off the rental car at Heathrow and take the tube to Victoria Station, as we are staying at the Hesperia. Friday evening we have 9:30 Ceremony of the Keys tickets. Suggestions and comments? I would rather eliminate Oxford at this point than Stonehenge. Then should we apply for Stone Circle access, because I wouldn't even be able to guess what time to request on the application. Thanks. Helene
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Stonenge:

Do you mean this Friday, March 23? The Stone Circle access isn't available that day: presumably because the area's being used early in the morning for Spring Equinox ceremonies. Normal opening times at www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.878 From Broadway you're going to have to get up jolly early in the morning, even in early July, sinbce you've ruled out evening access.

If you finish at Stonehenge by 0800, you'll be at an Oxford Park+Ride after 10, depending on traffic. Those web sites are useless when it comes to driving across Southern England during the near-perpetual rush hours.

Getting to a Park+Ride by 1000 means you'll be in town by 1030. You'll need to leave central Oxford no later than 1530 (I wouldn't risk it after 1500) to get to the Tower by 1930. If you want to stop off at a hotel on the way, leave at least an extra hour.

IN four hours you can have an adequate time in Oxford. UNless you know a lot about stone-age civilisation, you won't fins as much useful to do with those four hours at Stonehenge, though you might - depending on tastes and knowledge - get more out of using that time at Avebury at the other neolithic stuff in its vicinity. It'll certainly be a much less fraught day if you avoid Oxford.

Oxford's fine. But it's just about the fastest growing economy of any European medieval city, and its road system is governed more by the environmentalist lobby than the SUV owners.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:46 PM

flanner has basically laid out your logistical problems. I really LOVE Oxford - but in your situation, I'd probably skip it.

Using the park and ride lot (which you must) and buses into town will use up about 45-50 mins or more just parking, getting into the city, busing back out to the car and getting underway.

But w/ a reasonably early start from Broadway you could drive to Avebury, then on to Stonehenge and to LHR in plenty of time.

as for the wed/thurs - if you set out in the early a.m. you will have more than 1/2 a day for Broadway and a couple of nearby villages. Maybe even a visit to Hidcote Manor Garden. Then on Thurs you'll have all day to explore more of the Cotswolds
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Meant to add - I think your trip is in early summer - right? If so I might drive straight to the Cotswolds - stop to eat somewhere but basically drive straight through. Drop your things at your B&B and go directly to Hidcote and maybe Hailes Abbey. Both have set hours - while villages/towns are "open" all the time. It will be light quite late so after the sites w/ entrance hours close around 6 p.m. you'd still have 4+ hours of daylight to explore, see villages, look at views etc.

(If I got it wrong and the trip is at a different time of year - then the above advice wouldn't be as useful)
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Janis...You remembered correctly. Our trip is the first two weeks of July. Our plan is to drive from York straight to Broadway (leaving York around 9:00 a.m.). I thought that would give us time Wednesday and Thursday exploring the Cotswolds, as you have assured me. So we'll omit Oxford(There's always next time!)and go straight to Stonehenge on Friday. Should we apply for Stone Circle Access and if so, what time should I request, keeping in mind all that we need to do after Stonehenge on Friday.Thanks. Helene P.S. Next stop London, Friday (p.m.) through Wednesday (a.m.) with an afternoon flight out of Gatwick on Wednesday. Talk about questions!!!! Helene
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Janis...Never mind about the Stone Circle Access time question. When I Flanneruk's site reference, I didn't realize that access times were so limited. So, I guess we see the stones from afar. I'm fine with that. Helene
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:55 PM

For inner access you will have to request the morning slot. Its simply not possible to do the evening one and get to the Tower that night.

However that will mean an <u>early</u> start to your day. The last morning access in July is at 0730.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.878

But a good thing - if you do the morning inner access - you will have all day free and will have time for Avebury and even Windsor Castle and still drop the car off in plenty of time.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM

our posts crossed - if you are early risers I don't see why you couldn't do the inner access. Its not as if you will hit any traffic at 0600.

But it will make for a long day.