Reload this Page >

Driving time in Ireland

Search

Driving time in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 10:44 AM
Cheryl Zampiva

Driving time in Ireland

We are leaving for Ireland in 2 weeks and need to know if our itinerary is too ambitious given the amount of traffic and kind of roads in Ireland. Specifically, we'd like to know how long we should allow to drive from Shannon to Galway, from Galway to Dublin, and from Dublin to the Rock of Cashel. Next, we plan to drive on to the Ring of Kerry, Dingle, if time allows, and return to Shannon. We have only 7 full days. Any advice? Thanks!

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 05:51 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Cheryl: Well, you MIGHT be able to squeeze all that in; but I wouldn't want to try. Most of the roads in the interior and along the West coast are VERY narrow and twisting. If you try to make time you'll miss the gorgeous scenery. In addition your route itself seems a bit impractical. Shannon is in the West--as is the Dingle Peninsula and the Ring of Kerry. Dublin (on the East coast)--and even Cork (on the South coast)--have become just two more big cities. I'd pick a base in the West where I could get a train to spend the day in Dublin and return the same day and do the same for visiting the Rock of Cashel. But otherwise I'd stick the West and enjoy places such as Windy Gap (good shopping there), Kenmare (VERY good restaurants), and the Bere Peninsula (less well-known than Dingle and thus fewer crowds but even more great scenic views. Good trip! Joan

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 03:04 PM
Sue

Hi Cheryl: I totally agree with Joan, it could be done but I think you would be driving all day, not much time for sightseeing. Just returned after spending a week in Ireland and got to see about a forth of what we wanted to and we were in a different town every night. I'd would take your time and enjoy the beautiful country.

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 03:13 PM
kam

Good advice from all of the above. Remember that Shannon is in the west close to Galway! From there go north a bit to Connemara and then start heading south along the coast. I would skip Dublin entirely unless you have some incredible need to see it. THe west is the really lovely part of the country---from Connemara around to Cork, via Dingle and Kerry. Don't be too ambitious because you won'l get to visit the pubs and talk with the people--they are the joy of Ireland. And, every now and then, you will be slowed down on a road by a herd of sheep!! The Rock of Cashel was impressive, but I would have rather had a 2nd day in Dingle or Kerry! <BR>

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 05:54 PM
Ed Bray

Went to Ireland and my most vivid memories are of the people. Do things that will make you rub elbows with these grand people. Stay in Bed & Breakfasts, go to the pubs daily and ask questions about the best places to see, etc. and you'll have experts galore talking your leg off, go to mass (no matter your denomination), seek out those who may be in your profession, go to a hurling match, ask the husband at the B&B if he knows any of the history of Limmerick (or where ever it is that you're at).

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 05:17 AM
Shirley

I live in Galway and drive to Shannon quite often. The drive from my house to Shannon Airport is exactly 1 hour 20 minutes, Limerick is about another 20 minutes from Shannon. From Galway to Dublin is about a 2 - 3 hour drive. The road to Dublin is very good. I cant comment on the Rock of Cashel as I have never been there. I have been to Kerry and Dingle and I would recommend it to anyone. The scenery is beautiful. While in Dingle go and visit "Fungui" (a friendly dolphin), they do boat trips out to see can he be spotted, whether you see him or not dosent matter, the scenery is worth it, the road however is very narrow in parts and extremely winding. Killarney is another town which I particularly like also, very lively, beautiful scenery. Start your ring of Kerry from there. As for Dublin, like someone else said, unless you have a specific reason for it I wouldnt bother wasting half my day driving there and the same back. Stay around the West and down the Coast, you wont be sorry. Have a great time. Feel free to e-mail me if I can be of help.

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 07:38 AM
Cheryl

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. We are seriously considering staying on the west coast for the whole trip. I did want to see some Joycean sites in Dublin, and my daughter Tara wanted to see the Hill of Tara. Would we be missing all that much?

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 02:04 PM
David

Hi Cheryl. Your plan can be achieved but I would recommend sticking to the West coast. I went to Ireland for a week in Feburary and I amassed over 1100 miles on the rental car. The secondary roads are very narrow and are in need of work. You will also encounter sheep and other livestock on the roads so be aware of this when planning your itinerary. Gas is very expensive and this will be your biggest expense. I had an itinerary similar to yours and stuck to it but I suggest you concentrate on the western seashores and you can't go wrong.You can take in the best of Dublin in one day with a bus tour which allows you to depart at the major attractions as you please. They are very affordable. Stay in the B&Bs and visit the local pubs for the real Ireland. The people will bend over backwards for you and they love to talk. I'm headed back in November for 2 weeks but I'm concentrating solely on the Western section. Dublin is a great city but the real beauty of the country lies outside the city limits. I fell in love with the landscape and so will you. If you have any questions drop me a line. Have fun and be safe!

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 08:47 AM
Peggy

It sounds like we all agree....I'm headed back to Ireland in August for my second trip. My first trip was last September and I loved it so much, I am ready to go back. Our group travelled independently (rented a cottage for a week and then B&Bs the second week). The first week was spend on the Connemara (North of Galway) daytrippng. I enjoyed the Aran Islands, the western coast scenery, Kylemore Abbey, many castles and ruins. The second week was spent driving to the east coast, Dublin, and then going south to Waterford, Rock of Cashel, Ring of Kerry. Dublin was fine for a quick day, but I think it deserves more time (we are going to spend three days in August). <BR> <BR>I would focus on the west, Galway can be your "big" city. Give the Ring of Kerry or Dingle a full day, wander thru Galway, consider a visit to the Aran Islands (full day) or the Cliffs of Mohrer. <BR> <BR>Just meander and soak in the beauty of the country...you'll be amazed when you see fushia plants (usually hanging plants here) used as large hedgerows. The roads are sometimes tight, narrow, ad bumpy...you will see sheep roaming the roads and may run across someone walking their livestock up a lane. Be patient and enjoy.

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 04:09 PM
Cheryl

Thanks again for all the advice. We're leaving in two days. A few last questions if anyone can help. Is a lined raincoat a necessity in July or will a windbreaker do? What's the best route from Kilkenny to Killarney (the most scenic)? How long might the drive take?

Old Jul 14th, 1998, 05:31 AM
Kathy

Regarding rainwear, I used a Gore-Tex unlined parka with hood with great results. Anything waterproof, hooded, and long enough to cover your thighs should work out fine. A couple of light layers underneath will suffice.