Driving time from Neuschwanstein area to Lauterbrunnen

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A question both about driving time and sightseeing time. How much time can you spend seeing Neuschwanstein, and is it realistic to expect to get to Lauterbrunnen by that evening?
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Neuschwanstein is seen as a tour - you need to find out what times the English tours leave and sign up for one. You can;t simply wander all over the castle. Frankly I don;t find it that fascinaitng - since it is "fake" - built by Mad King Ludwig in the 1860s - several hundred years after people stopped building fortified castles.

Not sure about driving time to Lauterbrunennen but you can check viamichelin.com.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:44 AM

The tour of the castle last time I went was a bit under an hour. Walking around the area if you like can take up another hour+. Then there is Mad King Luddy's boyhood palace down by the road if you want to tour that too, another hour. So, you will want to book the first tour.

Driving time to Lauterbrunnen is about 4 1/2 hours in good weather and traffic. Somewhere about 220 miles. It's a scenic drive, but if you drive thru without stopping you will miss some good stuff.
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Great responses - thank you!!
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:39 PM

While you are there in the Schwangau area be sure to see Schlos Hohenschwangau too. It is where Ludwig and his family lived during his growing up years. IMO it is much more interesting than Neuschwanstein, but I would recommed both even though it will take you more time. You can buy a two castle ticket. Look at the Neuschwanstein website to see when the English (if that is your preference) tours are for each castle. You can buy your tickets on line but make sure you make the tour start time or you will miss the tour. They are very prompt.

Look at ViaMichelin.com for driving times, routes and costs to Lauterbrunnen.
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Frankly I like all of his other castles more than Neuschwanstein - Hohenschwangau, Herrenchiemsee and especially the Linderhof. Neuschwanstein just looks TOO Disney.
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:29 PM

AisleSeat recommends Schlos Hohenschangau as a worthwhile visit and more interesting than Neuschwanstein and I agree - that is the one that I referred to above as King Luddy's boyhood palace.