Driving routes through Luxembourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on heading to Luxembourg from Belgium for a couple of days in early September with a rental car.

On the way in I think we will take E25 into Luxembourg City which looks like a major road without a lot of elevation.

On the way out, we wanted to stop at Diekirch to see the war museum and Vianden to see the Chateau and then head back to Brussels on N15. How challenging are the roads to drive on during daylight hours? It looks like part of the trip is through mountains (hills?) and the road to Vianden looks a little winding and narrow.

Thanks for any advice!

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:06 PM

The roads in Luxembourg are just fine - we have driven all over on several occassions and have never found any of the roads to be at all challenging. We particularly enjoyed Vianden and hope that you will too. The view of the Castle as you approach Vianden is unforgetable.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM

We drove from Leuven, Belgium (near Brussels) to Vianden, Luxembourg last spring. At Liege, Belgium, we got on the A27-E421 rather than the A26-E25. Very scenic route - lots of grazing cattle and fields of dandelions. At some point, we left E421 and picked up a small road that followed the river into Vianden. No problems of significance. Directional signs were clear. Plenty of gas stations. In Vianden, we parked near the bottom of the chairlift.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Although I've only gone via train, I suggest you also take a look at Namur & Maastricht.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

We are stopping in Maastricht before heading to Luxembourg and may also stop in Namur on the way back to Brussels if we have time.

I'll take a look at the other routes, I think my husband wanted to stick to a major road because he was thinking it would be rather difficult driving.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Hi Kristi,

I did not drive, but took a train through some of the areas you mention and I found the area literally enchanting - much of Luxembourg looks like the setting for a fairy tale.

If you are stopping in Maastricht for the night, I had a pleasant stay at the Hotel des Charmes, in the "Jeker" district, which has many old buildings.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM

If it's not too inconvenient, Dinant is a much prettier town than Namur. Take the cable car to the top of the Citadel. The view looking almost straight down on the church spire is unforgettable. Unfortunately, you must take the (French language only) tour to get access to the fortified walls (and the views that they provide).
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Kristi - don't worry about driving in Luxembourg, you'll be fine. The side roads are standard two lane, gently rolling and well signed. As dovima noted, most of the countryside is scenic and pleasant.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional reassurance! I'll take a look at Dinant, it doesn't look too far out of our way and we may have a little free time on the way back to Brussels
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:32 PM

You might want to visit the American military cemetery at Sandweiler, very close to the Luxembourg airport, where General George S. Patton's tomb faces his troops.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Prolepsis, I think my husband would enjoy seeing that!