Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving Ravenna to Foligno - does this make sense?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be 4 nights in Bologna before leaving for an agriturismo near Montefalco. I had originally planned 5 nights in Bologna, but had to trim off a day. Since we will have just 3 full days there, I believe we will have to forego a planned train ride to Ravenna for the mosaics.
But maybe not - how does this alternative plan look to any of you who are quite familiar with the area?

Originally we planned to train to Foligno or Perugia and pick up a rental car there. What if we picked up the rental car in Bologna, drove to Ravenna fairly early (arriving right around opening time) and then continued on to Foligno from there? Google maps indicates Ravenna to Foligno would be about 2 hrs/47 minutes. Does that seem about right? How is that road? Sometimes maps and projected times can be deceiving.

What about driving along the coast? Am I getting ridiculous now? Would that add too much time to the trip? I want to reach Montefalco by 4:00.
Old May 17th, 2012, 03:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know about the drive as we took the train from Bologna to Ravenna, but do not miss a chance to see the mosaics. they are fabulous.
Old May 17th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Ravenna, especially antique center (pedestrianized--you'll park outside and enjoy pleasant walks in and around) and the mosaics are both IMO well worth making time for.
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:34 PM

While I'm a huge fan of Ravenna--art, history, food and ambience--I think your plan looks rushed. Opening times are probably in the area of 9-10 am and you want to be in Montefalco seven or six hours later. And you are starting in Bologna.

All the places you name are good to be in but trying to travel between the three-Bologna, Ravenna and Montefalco by car is sure to shortchange something. A train trip from Bologna sounds more reasonable (and an overnight or two better), but that's up to you to prioritize. Entry day to a new/old agriturismo is always a busy day and there is plenty to do as well as all the driving.

Have fun whatever you choose.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Macanimals - that is pretty much what I was concerned about. We do no want our days to feel rushed at all. And for us, we have learned that we always have to allow a little extra time for getting lost - it's inevitable ;o)
Staying with our first plan will probably be more comfortable for us.

I know that I would very much like to see the mosaics. Maybe make time for a short trip from Bologna during the short time that we're there after all. Seems like it would be less than a full day to do so?
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Macanimals - that is pretty much what I was concerned about. We do no want our days to feel rushed at all. And for us, we have learned that we always have to allow a little extra time for getting lost - it's inevitable ;o)
Staying with our first plan will probably be more comfortable for us.

I know that I would very much like to see the mosaics. Maybe make time for a short trip from Bologna during the short time that we're there after all. Seems like it would be less than a full day to do so?