Driving in Cornwall?

Search

Driving in Cornwall?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Cornwall?

Hi. I'm thinking of a trip to Cornwall in May 2006, and was wondering how difficult the driving would be. I've rented a car several times when visiting the UK, and have driven in both urban and rural areas - so I am somewhat used to very narrow roads with little visibility because of high hedges! Frankly, I would prefer not to drive (so that I could drink more fine ales!), but there are some manor houses and gardens that look dificult to get to without a car. Is Cornwall driving much more difficult than other areas in Britain? And how congested will the roads be during the last two weeks of May?
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Less so than other areas, IMO
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Mmmm... last two weeks in May?

From the quick research I've done it appears that English schools break for 'Half Term' 29th of May thru June 2nd. So May 26th will be when the holiday season starts, hotel prices start to rise and when the roads get busier.

It looks as though you'll be OK, since you already have experience driving in the UK it sounds as though you'll be fine. The roads aren't narrower than the roads in most other UK rural areas.

The A30 is a wonderful road these days - I remember when it was a one lane each way!

Actually it still is in some places, but still a great improvement than in the past.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In general the driving is fine. However - the last weekend in May is a MAJOR holiday. And Cornwall is one of the MAJOR destinations to celebrate it. If you can arrange your itinerary to be well clear of Cornwall (and Devon for that matter) by then you will be much better off.

Can you go in the middle of May instead? This is not an exaggeration - over the May Bank holiday you might find 10 and 20 (or more) mile tailbacks almost anywhere in the area.

Also - rooms will be much easier to find (and cheaper) in the middle of May than over the Bank Holiday.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, job and family responsibilities limit me - the earliest I could leave the States is May 13 or 14 - which would mean leaving the area just as the holiday weekend starts (I would want at least ten full days to have fun. But perhaps that would work - I do hate traffic. I had also been thinking of Derbyshire (the Peak District) and Shropshire - in general, I like walking, history, country houses, gardens, and pubs. Would these areas be less crowded during the Bank Holiday?
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM

Tracey,

If you're leaving the area then you'll be fine. The traffic will all be going in the other direction. The Saturday will be busy on the major roads but it calms down again on the Sunday.

The weather in Cornwall will probably be better than anywhere else in the country.

I recommend the Lost Gardens of Heligan and whilst I haven't visited my Mother raves about the Eden Project.

Have a wonderful time and don't worry about the traffic - you WILL be fine

Please let us know how you enjoyed your visit.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Anyplace really scenic - especially the Lake District, Cornwall, seaside resorts and the Cotswolds will be chock-a-block over the Bank holiday.

But you should be OK - Arriving in the UK on the 14th or 15th will give you more than a week before you need to worry about the masses. I know you want longer - but a full week+ is pretty good for Cornwall. Then I'd head to somewhere less "tourist-centric" for the rest of your time. Somerset, inland Dorset, Wales would all be reasonable drives from the SW. Or maybe over to Kent/East Sussex.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:51 PM

janisj, good point!

Tracey, I love Cornwall but you could expand your trip to include another area Devon, Somerset and Dorset are all beautiful counties with lots of houses and towns to visit.

Marilyn did a trip report that includes Totnes in Devon - too, too funny, it's about halfway down the thread but it's all worth reading.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34674275
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM

Cornwall and Devon have some of the loviest gardens in England, but not so enjoable among crowds. For the second week, your idea of Shorpshire is quite good: not many gardens, but many scenic walking routes, interseting black and white villages, plus some nice old towns. I spent one week based at Church Stretton this past May, enjoyed some lovely walks through bluebells woods, and very few tourists around.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I would like to spend several days, and perhaps the entire first week, in one place. I had also thought of Devon, specifically the southern part and Dartmoor. If you could choose Devon or Cornwall, which would it be?
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Tracey14: You really don't have to choose between Devon/Dartmoor and Cornwall. One base along the south Devon Coast or in eastern Cornwall would be convenient for day trips for all parts of Cornwall and Devon. A week will give you enough time to see LOTS w/o rushing.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:31 PM
vcl

Tracey,

Eden Project is terrific. I also recommend Trelisick. It's absolutely gorgeous in May. It's in the same area as the Eden Project and Heligan.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Tracey14 - there are heaps of tourist attractions, etc in Cornwall, however, if you want to base yourself somewhere a little bit off the beaten track, then do what we did a few years ago, we stayed on a farm B&B in the village of St.Neots in the Bodmin Moors. Our hosts were so friendly, and I will never forget sitting in the local Inn having a meal, and listening the bell ringing practise occuring just next door. There is a lot of history in the Bodmin Moors, especially regarding the legendary King Arthur and also some ancient wells, and Druids, etc.