Driving through England itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister & I are going to do a road trip through England on May 22 and flying out to Italy on May 30.We arrive around 2pm on the 22nd.We will pickup the rental car there and go.

My itinerary is:
London Gatwick to Reading (overnight there)
Reading to Chipping Campden (2nts)
Chipping Campden to Bakewell (2 nts)
Bakewell to Hawkshead (2nts.)
Hawkshead to Stamford (1 nt)
Hawkshead to East Midland Airport(May 30)
We are going to see places from Jane Austen movies and National Trust sites. My question is: Are the distances between the places a reasonable distance for the time I have alloted? Thanks for any tips.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM

I wouldn't stay overnight in Reading unless you have a special reason to - it's a good transport hub, if using public transport, and is not totally devoid of interest, but it's not a tourist hotspot, and all the accommodation I can think of is liable to be noisy/charmless/no parking.

As you have a car, I'd suggest finding a nice B&B in one of the villages in the area instead. My guess is that you want to stay here in order to visit Basildon Park, which has the double whammy of being National Trust and in a Jane Austen adaptation? Places you could look at might be Goring or Streatley, pretty villages on the Thames and really close to Basildon.

Are you interested in JA herself, or just in the movies? If the, you could organise a different trip around places she lived and set her books.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think 25th is a bank holiday, so need to get a few bookings in place for that weekend.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
May be worth you joining te national trust rather than by tickets on the door, may also be other deals out there
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Also your UK trip coincides exactly with UK school holidays (spring half term) so accommodation and attractions will be extra busy. Make sure you book places now, esp in Peak District and the Lakes.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Another recommendation to avoid staying in Reading. Not a touristy sort of place (and not a nice 'let's get away from the tourists' place either). Very busy, modern, lots of traffic - stay outside somewhere nice!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Reading? - OMG

Are you flying in transatlantic? If so you might want to stay near to Gatwick and drive up to Chipping Campden the next day after you recover from jetlag.

Or if you simply <i>must</i> drive part way towards the Cotswolds, consider Windsor, Henley, Maidenhead -- or one of the riverside villages along that part of the Thames.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi deb,

sorry to &quot;rain on your parade&quot; but IMHO you'l be spending aalot of time on the road travelling if you're lucky, and even longer on it, but stationary if you're not!

ie you're giving yourselves too much to see at the wrong time of year; in particular the Lakes can be madness during the May half-term hols. for the sake of the 2 nights [and therefore only one full day] you are giving yourselves there, I woudl save it for another trip.

as you are starting at Gatwick and ending in the East Midlands [a mythical place known only to local government] it woudl make sense fistly to head to Bath - where you could spend three very nice nights exploring the Baths, Royal Crescent etc - loads of Janite references there.

you are then in the ideal place to head north into the cotswolds where there are some lovely gardens that will be perfect that time of year - as well as Hidcote [NT] there is the WEstonbirt Arboretum, Kiftsgate [opposite Hidcote].

you could spend 3 nights at Chipping Camden and 2 elsewhere, or all five at CC.

other places to see en route to the East Midlands
Stowe in the wold
Moreton in Marsh
Stratford
Charlote near Warwick,
Warwick castle
Coventry Cathedral

I could go on.

if you wanted the peak district, this would stil fit in, but this too gets very busy at schoolholiday time.

as it stands, I feel that your itinerary is far too ambitious.

regards, ann
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Look into getting a Great British Heritage Pass from visitbritain.com; you'll be able to get into Chatsworth, Haddon Hall, and a variety of other places with it. It's excellent value for the money.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>May be worth you joining te national trust&quot;</i>

vs.

&quot;<i>Look into getting a Great British Heritage Pass</i>&quot;

Definitely get a GBHP. It will cover all the National Trust properties, all the English Heritage sites, PLUS many of the big privately owned places like Chatsworth, Warwick, Blenheim. The private properties are the ones that really drive up one's costs.

(If you want to join the National Trust anyway- the Royal Oak Foundation is the affiliate for US members)
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM

I'm a very big fan of Jane Austen so I really envy you your trip.

Firstly, as others have said, don't stay in Reading. I worked on the outskirts for 4 years and it doesn't have much to offer. Also, very difficult to get in to and out of.

About driving after the international flight--I got hugely scolded for confessing that I do it so you got off with a mild warning.

It's not a good idea if you've not driven in the UK before, but if you think you can manage an hour or two, I suggest heading out of Gatwick on the M23 to the M25 to the M3 aiming for a B&amp;B outside Basingstoke or Winchester for night 1.

To give you an idea of timing, Winchester is 77 miles from Gatwick. This could take anywhere for 90 minutes to two hours depending on traffic. Of course pull off specific directions from Mapquest UK or similar.

I'm suggesting you consider this to see Jane Austen's home in Chawton, a small cottage where she did most of her writing. You might also want to see where she is buried in Winchester Cathedral.

You could then aim for somewhere near Basildon Park for Night 2, if that's your goal for wanting to be in the Reading area.

Anyway, ignore all the above if you're not interested in Chawton or Winchester Cathedral.

Bath is an excellent recommendation--the setting for Persuasion and more important, it still retains much architeture from the Regency period which was JA's era.

Don't miss Chatsworth and the beautiful Peak District. A special place to stay is the Dannah Farm Country House near Shottle. It was built in the late 1700s and reminds me on a smaller scale of what the Bennett's house would have looked like.

The Farm is on the Chatsworth Estates although about 15 miles from Chatsworth itself. The Devonshires own quite a bit of property in the county! The food was excellent (they serve dinner except Sundays) as were the rooms and the hospitality. The farm is just below a high point from which it is said you can see five counties. www.dannah.co.uk

Have fun!

Old Jan 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM

&gt;&gt;I'm suggesting you consider this to see Jane Austen's home in Chawton, a small cottage where she did most of her writing. You might also want to see where she is buried in Winchester Cathedral. &lt;&lt;

This is a great suggestion. Our last two stops in 2007 were Winchester Cathedral and Chawton.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions. I live in Italy and have been in London and parts of England several times. I am only traveling less than two hours on my flight so no worries about jet lag. Yes,I do want to see Basildon Park, so I will look into Streatly or Goring as suggested. I have been to Bath, so I am not interested in driving that far west. I do have a membership in the Royal Oaks. That is why I am so interested in the sites, but I will also check into the Great Britain Heritage Pass as well. We arrive early afternooon at Gatwick, so I am hoping the traffic won't be too bad?Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM

I'm suggesting you consider this to see Jane Austen's home in Chawton, a small cottage where she did most of her writing. You might also want to see where she is buried in Winchester Cathedral. &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

There is also the house she spent her final few months in in Winchester (sadly she died after she had written those bloody books). It's in College St if you go.

CW - From Winchester. Hates Jane Bloody Austen.