Driving from Zurich to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on driving from Zurich to Venice in last week of august and driving back to Zurich from Cinque terra in first week of september(after total 12 days) I was wondering which route to take coming down to venice and going back up to Zurich.

I dont want to take same routes. I do plan to spend one night on our way to venice and one night on my way to zurich.

Also how safe are the roads on that route?

Thanks
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:34 AM
rex

Whatever your ultimate plans, you really owe it to yourself to become familiar with a website like www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com

The ("best&quot route going and coming would logically go through Milan both directions... but for a modestly greater driving time, you could go by way of Vaduz/Innsbruck on your way to Venice. There are a lot of tunnels in the western "tail" (Vorarlberg) of Austria, making it slightly boring, but from Innsbruck down into Italy, you will likely enjoy it. I have never gone the shorter route, cutting straight south at Cortina d'Ampezzo, but plenty of others here have. Tehre is no shortsage of interesting places to overnight on this 8 hr drive.

Coming back from the Cinque Terra, I might suggest Lugano. The drive time is only about 5 and a half hours total.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex, I was thinking along the same lines just wanted a second opinion, it'll be our first time driving in mountains and I just wanted to make sure that it's not too dangerous doing it (we have 3 kids with us)I am familiar with viamichelin.com .

I was wondering if michelin recommended route is the most scenic one and if not where how can I plan the most scenic route.

Thanks
Praveen
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:28 AM

Psehgal - If you go the Innsbruck way, you could plan a spectacular route through the Dolomites.

From the Brenner Pass my favourite route would be:

Bressanone - Val Gardena - ORTISEI - Selva - Gardena Pass - CORVARA - La Villa - SAN CASSIANO - Valparola Pass - Falzarego Pass - CORTINA - Pieve di Cadore - Venice.

This would take you through some of the most stunning scenery. Stop off for one or two cable-car rides - some of them are awesome.

Ortisei is one of the prettiest villages in the Dolomites IMO and would make a pleasant overnight stop.

Hope this helps ...

Steve