Driving from Sorrento to Rome??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always had this idea that I wanted to drive from Sorrento/Naples to Rome. Not sure why. I know that I would like to see Cassino, scene of one of the most epic battels of WWII. But beyond that I have always had this idea that it would be a beautiful drive. Has any done this drive who could give me a little advice?? Someone once said that highways are "the fastest way to get from A to B without seeing a thing". If that were the case, I think I might just opt for the train. Is this journey just highawys all the way, or are there some treasures to stumble onto along the way?
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 12:00 PM

When is this trip?

I've never done the drive, but before I let anybody talk me out of an idea I'd had for a long time, I'd do a lot of research -- and I might just do it anyway. I found most drives in Italy rewarding -- even if not classically beautiful.

That said, if you are looking for a beautiful one-day drive, I doubt it fits that description. What might be the case is that if you zig-zag between coast and hills, and dip into some off-the-track pockets, you will see some amazing things few tourists stop to see.

Some towns and areas you might google up to see if you think they are worth a detour are Fiuggi, Palestrina, Sperlonga, Gaeta, San Felice Circeo, the Alban hills and the Castelli Romani. And as look as you are interested in Cassino, you might also be interested in Anzio, the site of another epic battle of WW2 and one of the most important war memorials in Italy.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM

The other direction would make good sense to me---seeing Caserta and Montecassino as you head south, but going north where do you plan to drop the car?
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Dropping it off at Rome's Ciampino airport wouldn't be difficult at all when approaching Rome from the south. Then you could take a bus in to Rome.

If you decided to come up the coast, you might as well drop it off at Fiumicino airport, and take the 30 minute train into town.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM

If you take the highway you see nothing. If y u want to explore you can take side roads - but need to confirm opening times of the things you want to see - and make an early start to see much unless you want to pull into Rome at midnight.

We have driven it in both directions - but by highway - since we were going either to Sorrento and wanted to get there for lunch - or going to Florence and wanted to get there late afternoon.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 07:49 AM

We have drivin Rome to Sorrento several times (and will be again in September). If you take the main highway it is about 3.5 hours and it is not scenic at all. However it does have easy access to Cassino as you mentioned you would like to see. An alternative, although much more lenghty would be to head for the coast, take a segment of Via Appia, an old Roman road which is much more picturesque. It is a beautiful road, not much traffic and you pass by some nice little Italian villages. You could exit off to Anzio (great WWII American Cemetery) and also pass thru the coastal towns of Terracina and Sperlonga (great beaches). When we took this route we stayed one night in Terracina as to fully enjoy this route in one day may be too time consuming.

Mikek