driving from scotland to sussex

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mid may will find us visiting friends in sussex. we plan to fly easy jet, london to edinburgh. after 2 days there, we'd like to hire a car-any suggestions of a company that would be near castle area? head to st andrew's (golfing spouse must see) and then take 6 - 7 days back sussex. no major big cities desire, would like north wales. enjoy history and scenery. any suggested itineraries, is wales too ambitious? thank you so much
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:35 PM

We have twice rented a car in Glasgow and driven south. One trip was Hadrians Wall, Durham, York, Ironbridge, Stratford, Coventry, Cotswolds, Oxford, Winchester, London. In 93 Lake District, Betws-y-coed (North Wales), Welshpool, Worcester, Oxford (bus to London).

The first trip was about 14 days, the second 8. We uised Hertz both times thru the BA site.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Anybody else with suggestions for carolynne72? Maybe she should ask about clothing.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM

We just rented a car in downtown Edinburg through Thrifty. The pickup was on Haymarket St., not too far from the castle -- short bus ride. The coastal trail around St. Andrews is lovely with small fishing villages.

Heading south I would stop at Hadrian's Wall. For scenery I strongly suggest going through the Peak District. It is glorious. Ironbridge packs a lot of history in one spot and the countryside around there is also quite beautiful (although isn't that a lot of England).
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM

The nearest car rental point is Waverley Stationa nd various companies trade from there.

I recall that Hertz is in Picardy Place which is reasonably nearby too.