Driving from Rome to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am intending to driver from Rome to Paris in mid June. This is my 1st trip so I do not know much about the driving conditions so can anyone help me. I am from Australia so can I drive this route? Are the road signs in english?
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:47 PM

Try this out and see if that's what you want.

Note the total cost would probably be more than a flight between the two cities, and will eat up a day.

http://www.viamichelin.com/
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I am intending to driver from Rome to Paris in mid June</i>

Why? How many days do you plan for the drive? Do you realize the rental drop off fees will cost almost as much as the rental? What do you want to see between Rome and Paris? How long are you in Europe all together?

Give us some detail and we can give you advice . . .
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 10:40 PM

Road signs in Italy and France will be in the language of those countries: Italian and French.

Be aware that there is a hefty cross-border drop-off fee on car rentals. Check www.kemwel.com.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

The reason why I want to drive is because I love sight seeing. I do not know if there is any thing good to see on my way from Rome to Paris. I am intending to spend 5 days in Rome, 5 days in Paris and about 5 days in London. I know I can not see much in 15 to 17 days but I want to see what ever I can during my visit.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:27 PM

Well how many days will you spend driving, its not just a one day drive( unless you think its a good idea to drive 15 hours straight on fast roads,, i don't think it is at all!!!)
Sure there is some good scenery , but to make it in 14-159 which to me is 2 days driving ) hours you will be on the toll highways, not driving through pretty villages etc.. so really it seems like a bit of waste of time and money to me, but to each his own.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 09:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
5 days Rome 5 days Paris 5 days London - there is 16 days right there since you need to plan 1/2 day to fly from from Rome to Paris and 1/2 day to take the train from Paris to London. So once again . . . >>How many days do you plan for the drive? <<

If you mean to just drive straight from Rome to Paris as part of the 15-17 days - that makes no sense at all. Fly to Paris and take the train to London.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Rent a car from Rome to Torino; take a train to Modane; rent a car from Modane to Paris.
Signs, as noted, are in local languages.
We did a trip like this a couple of years ago, overnighting in Frascati, San Gimignano, Reggio, and Milan. We like agriturismo, and you pretty well need a car for that as you're out in the country a lot.

Driving from Modane to Paris I'd go through Haute Savoie. This could be a really fine trip if you like countryside and villages. If your main thrust is cities, though, you're wasting time and money…
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise. If the road signs are in their languages of the respective countries, then I wont be able to find directions to Paris. I am still willing to drive provided I find the directions. I can extend my trip by couple of days to allow for driving days.
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:29 PM

I do not fully understand your worries about road signs.

If you are speaking of "signs", there is no language issue. They are more or less universal apart from some specific to each country.

If you are speaking of "directions" you only need to know the translation in English of the main cities along your way that do not have the same name in French/Italian compared to English.
Concerning "finding directions to Paris", the name "Paris" will not appear in the outskirts of Rome. So once you know which road you would be taking, I encourage you to have a look to a viamichelin.com or any other internet tool to plan your route
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:52 PM

<< If the road signs are in their languages of the respective countries, then I wont be able to find directions to Paris >>

You don't find directions on road signs - you need a map. If I drove out of my garage I would not be able to find directions anywhere based on road signs. Even in English.

<< I am still willing to drive provided I find the directions. >>

Have you looked for directions? You've been given the site for directions twice on this thread and once on your other thread. Have you used the site?

You have tons of responses to both of your threads. I do not understand the problem. You need to know the road numbers.

Are the road signs in Australia in French and Italian?
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 11:05 PM

You should learn that some road signs may not be familar to you , look up and study road signs for each country you are travelling in, it is up to you as the driver to know them. This is not a language issue, many road signs as you know are pictures or symbols, most will be familar to you, but there are some you may not recognize.