Notices

Driving from Naples to Sicily

Jan 8th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Driving from Naples to Sicily

We will be driving from Naples to Sicily in late April. Any suggestions on places to visit and stay? We have at the most 5 days to do this drive, but shorter is fine too. Thanks
Jan 8th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Well, obviously you could spend weeks at Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, and all the rest.

What sorts of things are you looking for?
Jan 8th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Should have said not the Amalfi Coast. Looking for some of the smaller towns with nice scenery. Don't necesssrily need lots to do as it's more of a stopping point. Maratea is one we're thinking of. The Cilento region sounds lovely.
Jan 9th, 2015, 07:09 AM

You may like the medieval hill city of Castellabate.
Jan 9th, 2015, 07:43 AM

We did that drive one year and stopped at Maratea and Tropea---both interesting resort areas. Neither compares to Taormina---I would stop one night perhaps, but I would get to Sicily ASAP.
Mar 8th, 2015, 07:26 PM

Hi yestravel -
I just noticed your question about the Cilento on my 2013 trip report. Yes, it makes sense to me to stop at Pisciotta and stay at the lovely (truly gorgeous) hotel there. We returned last May and spent another two nights in Pisciotta and kept ourselves perfectly entertained.

We were unable to find much information on the area either which struck us as part of the charm. There are greek ruins, lovely towns to wander through, good beaches and exceptional restaurants. I think three nights in Pisciotta would be perfect.
Mar 8th, 2015, 07:30 PM

I don't know if you saw this but below is my TR from last year. You can see how we meandered around doing...not much with great happiness in the Cilento. There's also the link to some photos. I put those up because so few people visit the area. Note that I recommend the Hotel Marulivo over the B&B we stayed at last year.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...basilicata.cfm
Mar 8th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Funny, I was just rereading your TR as we leave in about a month. We did book 3 nights at Marulivo and are so looking forward to it.
On our way back from Sicily we are staying in Maratea where we stayed many years ago. this is our second trip to Sicily so we know what we have in store for us. Castellabate looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Search this Thread