Search

Driving from Mont St. Michel to Loire Valley

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Mont St. Michel to Loire Valley

Hello,

I am trying to find a driving route from Mont St. Michel to Loire Valley. I am taking my parents for their first time in France, for the celebrating my father's 60th Birthday. I thought they would love castles and the traditional European feelings. Which are the good, traditional lovely quaint French towns along the way? (no War stuff, no museum... they wouldn't be into that) Which route should I take, leaving Mont St. Michel very early and get to some town in Loire Valley in a decent time. Also has anyone stayed at any of the castles? Any recommendations?

Thank you for your advice! I don't know France at all, and this itinerary is very hard...

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:53 AM

My husband (a little older than me) just turned 60 and he loved Vitre (just south of Fougeres). According to Michelin "This is the best-reserved old-world town in Brittany".

A small town (around 14.000) with a lovely chateau and ramparts and little windy streets with wooden carved houses, it is very manageable.

We spent the evening in La Fleche, an absolutely charming town with a military school, lots of pedestrian-only streets and a great hotel : Relais Cicero- a former 17th century convent behind ivy covered walls; also a gourmet restaurant which ended up being one of our favorites: Fesse d'Ange.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:53 AM

That should read best PREserved town!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:09 AM

Well, it depends on where in the Loire valley you're headed, but take the route through Fougères (lovely town with largest château in Europe, beautiful public gardens) and Vitré (even lovelier, with château and fabulous half-timbered houses) and Laval to Angers (fabulous city, with château and both ancient and modern apocalypse tapestries).
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:22 AM

The viaMichelin.com site is great for driving plans. We drove from the Mont along the northwest coast to Cancale and St. Malo, both very interesting Brittany towns. Then took the highway to Angers, staying overnight and later stayed in a country hotel near Amboise. Amboise was an excellent base and you could probably drive there directly if you wanted to spend more time in the Loire. It's centrally located and has many options close by. Enjoy!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 01:03 PM

The little town of Dinan would also be excellent for a visit. It's mostly medieval, with beautiful half-timbered houses and a wonderful garden.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all your advice. I will use Michelin and map out the route, along Fourges, through those towns you mentioned, Dinan, Vitres, St. Malo, etc. Gosh, that's a lot of towns. Amboise sounds lovely for overnight for the Loire Valley. I am sure my parents will like the castles!!

Thanks again!