Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Milan to Turin - good idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying in to Milan but need to get to Turin the same evening. Instead of taking the train, we thought about renting a car in Milan and just driving since we will need a mode of transportation to get us up to Pont Canavese the day or two after we arrive. Everything I have read about driving in Italy has me concerned about driving anywhere but in the countryside and I have no idea what the terrain is between Milan and Turin. So, is it a good idea or a bad idea to rent a car in Milan and just drive to Turin?
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 10:57 AM

According to google maps it's an easy trip down the E64. We have had no problems driving on the highways of Italy. Stay to the right and be prepared for drivers that are more aggressive, but if you stay in the slower lane and abide by the rules of the road you should have no problem.

Not sure I would want to drive in Turin...just make sure you have parking.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 12:45 PM

It's a very easy drive along the highway. Plus the city of Turin is easy to navigate (although GPS in any new area is immensely helpful!) Have a great trip!
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 03:22 AM

Public transport between MXP and Pont Canavese isn't bad, however:
http://www.autostradale.it/interna.a...60&sot=2&ae=22
http://www.sfmtorino.it/wp-content/u...15.12_sfm1.pdf
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 05:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There used to be a bus from the airport to Turin also.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 05:28 AM

http://www.sadem.it/media/5191/000020.pdf
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 06:18 AM

The A4 is very easy just be careful around the toll booths, during the rush hours the queues can be long and dangerous as traffic travels very quickly before suddenly slamming on breaks. Traffic around Milan during the rush hours is particularly heavy.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 09:44 AM

Interesting to see that the SADEM timetable given by Kybourbon corresponds exactly to the Autostradale timetable I gave 2 hrs earlier. May be a joint service of both companies.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM

You won't be in the "countryside" driving from Milan to Turin. You will be on a high-speed highway that is mainly a truck route that is usually thick with traffic and which at any time of year that area can get drenching rains.

If you don't need the car for another day or two then you will pay a lot to park it and you will experience a fair amount of stress driving to the city. There are excellent high-speed train connections that will take you from Milan to Torino or bus if you prefer. If you book the tickets in advance they will be cheaper than a car rental and parking. You can easily rent a car in Torino when you actually need one.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 11:51 AM

>>>There are excellent high-speed train connections that will take you from Milan to Torino or bus if you prefer.<<<

You would have to take a train into Milan and change for Turin. The bus doesn't require changing and would take the same amount of time although some trains take longer than the bus.

>>>Interesting to see that the SADEM timetable given by Kybourbon corresponds exactly to the Autostradale timetable I gave 2 hrs earlier.<<<

If you look on my link, you will see half the buses are labeled Autostadale and the other half Sadem. If you scroll down, it lists both as operators.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 12:06 PM

It also depends on how you feel with the jet lag. Are you flying from CA?
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 12:21 PM

There is a lot of traffic on the highway between Milan and Turin -- not to mention that buses in italy are usually a great deal more uncomfortable than the new trains. Finally, a lot of people find reading on a bus makes them car sick whereas they don't have that problem ever on a train.

I never take the bus if I have another choice, even if the train takes longer and is more expensive. Other people would rather save the money or not lift their luggage more than once.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 06:27 PM

>>not to mention that buses in italy are usually a great deal more uncomfortable than the new trains<<<

I've never found these types of buses uncomfortable at all. They are like tour buses, not city buses. Your luggage gets stored underneath so you don't have to worry with it. The train from Malpensa to Milan would not be more comfortable, but a fast train from Milan to Turin might be. Pictures of the buses are on their website. The home page scrolls through various pics.

http://www.sadem.it/it/home.aspx
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Greg - we are flying from California to Milan. We arrive at 7 AM and my parents arrive at 2:30 PM, so we would be leaving Milan around 5 PM assuming all goes smoothly with their connections.

I appreciate ALL of the input on this one! Thank you all so much!
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 10:22 AM

At 5pm if it is a weekday, traffic may be more than a little issue.

I have queued for 2 hours.

I would spend the first night in Milan.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 11:20 AM

" we are flying from California to Milan. We arrive at 7 AM "

So when will you last have slept?

If you're seriously intending driving on the Milan-Turn motorway after 36 sleepless hours, you're a dangerous fool.

Kill yourself and your family by all means. But at least have the decency not to endanger innocent Italians in your reckless stupidity.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Which is pretty much what I was implying but unfortunately Flanner's Asperger's is creeping in again.