Road Directions in Milan

Search

Road Directions in Milan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Directions in Milan

We are heading to Milan in one week and want to find driving directions from the airport to our hotel in Milan. Any suggestions? Also looking for ideas on taking the train from Milan to Rome. This is our first visit to Italy and I want to make it as stress free as possible.
Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:06 AM

There are many people who know more about driving in Italy than I do, so I will let them suggest the Web sites that can help you from the airport to your hotel.

But why would you want to drive, when there are convenient buses to downtown Milan? Driving in Milan is probably to be avoided, so why do you need the car? Of course, if you are planning to drive to the Lake Region, it's a different story, but I'd still rent the car when leaving Milan rather than when arriving at the airport.

For train schedules, go to

www.trenitalia.com

You can click on English and find all the information you would need. My only suggestion would be to take a Eurostar train; they're faster and more comfortable. Also, your ticket includes a reseerved seat.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

I've heard driving in Milan can be challenging. But this trip is for business (for him) and some site seeing (for me). My husband has to visit his customer site in Segrate (?) and we thought having a car would be easier than relying on Taxis from the hotel to his site.

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM

Hi TeamBlair, Milan is southeast of the Milpensa airport (which I assume is where you will be arriving). If you are arriving at the other airport, Linate, that is east of Milan.

It is not a problem driving from the airports to Milan, the question is how will your husband feel driving in Milan? Is he used to large cities, driving in other European cities etc?

My husband drove many times in Milan but he even enjoyed driving in Rome and Naples. And he never got stressed. But I know native Italians that will not drive in Milan.

So I am not sure if you rent a car at the airport that this will be stressfree for either of you.

I am not famaliar with where your husbands worksite is. Is this a suburb of Milan?

My personal thinking is that I would take the shuttle bus from Milpensa (again assuming that is the airport where you will arrive) to Milan. It will take you to the Centrale Train Station. I would then take a taxi to your hotel.

I would ask the hotel about getting to your husband's worksite. Again I do not know where this is so have no idea about cost of a taxi etc and guess there is no public transportation? Has your husband talked to the people at the worksite to ask them for their suggestion.

If he does have to get a car to get to the worksite I would think picking one up, if possible, the morning he needs it in Milan would be the best. At least he would be rested from his long flight (assume you are arriving from the US).

I understand what you are trying to accomplish but know many travellers have a difficult time even driving to their hotel in Milan due to roundabouts and all the one way streets.

One thing you could do is, if you do rent a car, when you get to the outskirts of Milan stop and get a taxi. Explain you need to go to your hotel. You could ride with the taxi driver and your husband could follow in the rental car. That is if you find a taxidriver that understands he needs to drive slow and keep an eye on your husband's car so that your husband doesn't "lose" the taxi.

Another thought is to email the hotel and ask for their suggestions. Or call them during the normal business hours in Italy, but not around checkout/checkin time. They no doubt will have someone there that speaks English.

Best wishes on this venture and enjoy your visit to Italy!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:52 AM
cmt

Here's where it is: http://www.manipura.it/Mappa_del_Sit...one/comune.gif
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:54 AM

There is local train service between a number of points in Milan and Segrate:

http://www.infopoint.it/int_perc.exe...mp;949&643

Scroll down past the middle of the list of names to hit the Milan points and then Segrate.

Your husband's colleagues should be able to advise him, as Loveitaly has suggested.