Driving from Heathrow Airport to Bath

Old Oct 17th, 2021, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Heathrow Airport to Bath

To avoid congestion of driving in busy traffic we were originally thinking of taking an express train from Heathrow Airport to Bath which ends up costing 85 pp then renting car hire in Bath. Wondering if anyone has ever ventured from Heathrow to Bath via car to give me an idea if it's congested driving around Heathrow airport? If it's not too crazy busy we are considering renting car hire from Heathrow and driving to Bath. Appreciate the feedback.
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 08:16 AM

Heathrow Express goes into London Paddington, from where you would get the train to Bath. Instead you can get the RailAir coach to Reading to pick up the same train there. That will probably be cheaper:

https://www.gwr.com/travel-informati...ctions/railair
Or you can get a National Express coach from Heathrow to Bath, which might take longer but should be cheaper still.

The one thing a lot of people may say is PLEASE don't drive straight off a longhaul flight. The other options are much less stressful for you - and possibly other drivers.

Last edited by PatrickLondon; Oct 17th, 2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 09:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As Patrick saya -- do NOT drive to Bath. And there is no express train to Bath --first a train in to London Paddington then train to Bath or a bus to Reading and a train to Bath.

Neither is as good or as easy as just taking the direct coach from LHR to Bath. Get on the bus at LHR and get off i central Bath
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Patrick and Janis, Thank you for your reply. This helps! On paper it looks doable to drive, but as you stated these other options are going to be less stressful on tired drivers. Appreciate the quick response. Lori

Last edited by loriandrews3447; Oct 17th, 2021 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Want to include another person
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 09:18 AM

Only do this IF you plan on a night or two in Bath -- traveling to Bath and then picking up a car there to drive elsewhere the same day isn't a good idea. (The driving out of LHR is usually easier than driving in Bath city but don't do either on your arrival day)
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Janis. We will be in Bath 2 nights.
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 02:44 PM

Great. Id take the coach to Bath and pick up the rental on your way out of town on day 3
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 07:50 AM

Hi, loriandrews3447 . Smart decision NOT to drive upon landing. I did this once on my 2nd trip to England, and never, ever again in the dozen trips after. And you'll have freed the designated driver from the stress and hours of anxiety over driving in a new country right after a tiring flight. It's a much nicer and, more importantly, safer way to begin your hard-earned vacation.

Just a tip: the border control into England can sometimes be slow. It usually is for my arrivals from Chicago between 7:30-9:00 a.m. So I recommend after disembarking from the plane, take the time to freshen up in the washroom BEFORE getting in line. Brush your teeth, put contacts in, refresh makeup, etc. I resist the urge to make a mad dash for the border control line, because you'll likely be waiting. Then get your cash from the airport atm, grab a coffee, and then do the longish walk to the LHR rail station, or the closer Heathrow Central Bus Station. I also mention it so you don't book a non-flexible ticket, or a ticket that is too ambition after your posted arrival time. If you land at 9 am, I wouldn't want to book a ticket before 11:15. Ex: the plane may land at 9:15, walk a long terminal to a bathroom (+10 min), freshen up (+10), get in line for border control (+15-45), baggage claim (+5-15), locate ATM (+5), get b'fast/coffee (+10), locate LHR bus/rail station (+10-20), add even more time if you need to buy an Oyster card/tickets.

Envious of your trip! Have fun planning! (And if you can use public transportation, do it. You can use https://www.traveline.info/ as a trip planner. Often, it's not as complete as you expect, but you'll find which rail/coach companies operate in between the destinations, and you go there to flesh out the details and check timetables.)