Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it easier to visit Bath upon arrival to Heathrow, or visit Bath on the way to Gatwick.

Is it easier to visit Bath upon arrival to Heathrow, or visit Bath on the way to Gatwick.

Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

The title says it all, really. We are just trying to figure out if we should put our two-night Bath visit before or after London.

Thanks!
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM

Bath is west of London and almost due west of Heathrow, primarily on the M4 motorway - about 1:51 minutes.

Gatwick is south of London and it would take an extra 45 minutes to get to Bath - 2:30 total - weaving along towards the M4 until you pretty much passed near Heathrow anyway.

Trying to get to Bath from London, while on your way to Gatwick would be seems crazy, if not impossible, if you planned to stop once you got there.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM

On the way to Gatwick from where? From London? If so, London to Bath to Gatwick is pretty convoluted. You can go to Bath first, then take the train to London and stay there. Then take a quick train from central London to LGW.

Are you talking about driving or using public transport to Bath?
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM

Even taking the train....
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I should have been more clear. We arrive at LHR and fly out 11 days later from LGW. We want to do 8 nights in London and 2 nights in Bath. Just not sure in which order.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and we'd be taking the train from LHR or to LGW.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM

The only train from Heathrow goes into London. You can take a bus from Heathrow to Bath. Or a bus to Reading station and then a train to Bath.

I think Bath first makes the most sense geographically. Though if you have a long overnight flight, you might want to throw in another day at Bath for jetlag. Bath is more restful than London. Then train from Bath to London, and finally train from London Victoria to Gatwick.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

"Oh, and we'd be taking the train from LHR or to LGW."

No, you aren't - there is no train that connects them.

Plus -- if there are 11 days between landing at LHR and departing from LGW, I can't see that you are traveling from one airport to the other.

You can take an express airport coach from LHR to Bath, stay 2 nights. then hop on a train into Paddington and stay your 8 days in London. Then take a train (which train depends on where you are staying in London) to LGW.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

I didn't literally mean we are taking the train from one to the other... the question was asked if I was taking public trans and I was saying that I am taking the train from LHR and then back to LGW.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

"You can take an express airport coach from LHR to Bath, stay 2 nights. then hop on a train into Paddington and stay your 8 days in London. Then take a train (which train depends on where you are staying in London) to LGW."

OK, thanks JanisJ, that sounds like what I needed to know. I think we will do Bath first.