Search

Five Incredible Days in Iceland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Five Incredible Days in Iceland

Greetings Fodorites,

We recently returned from a five-day trip to Iceland. We flew Delta from MSP and back, both very easy flights. We left the US on June 24 and returned on the 30th. At the time we went, everyone had to have a PCR test at the airport upon arrival and quarantine in their hotel/apartment, etc. while waiting for the results. Our results came back in 4 - 5 hours and we were good to go. However, the PCR tests have been discontinued since then and in fact the day after our arrival Iceland lifted all Covid sanctions; no masks, no social distancing. Our daughter said it was like 2019 all over again! We also had to have a PCR test within 72 hours of boarding our flight back to the US as everyone does these days, but that was easy to arrange in Reykjavik.

There were five of us, my husband, our two grown daughters and our son-in-law. My husband and I had been to Iceland very briefly on the way home from London in February, 2012, so being there so close to the summer solstice was a completely different experience!

I can’t say enough about it and words don’t do it justice. Since we were there so short a time, we stayed in Reykjavik and took two day trips, one around the Golden Circle and the other along the South Coast. Both were incredible and the scenery was breathtaking. The rest of the time we explored Reykjavik and took a short cruise from Reykjavik harbor to see the puffins. Our “kids” spent a morning at the Blue Lagoon while we walked around Reykjavik some more.

We got lucky with the weather; we had almost no rain and only a few clouds. The rest of the time was beautifully sunny. The temperature didn’t get above about 55, but we were just happy not to have rain.

The Icelanders are extraordinarily friendly and they all speak English - better than some native English speakers! They were genuinely happy to start getting tourists back and welcomed us with open arms. Iceland is only about 5 and a half hours from the East Coast of the US and Canada and there’s only a four-hour time difference. If you’ve ever considered going, now is the time. While we saw other tourists, the numbers will only grow as people start to travel again. We reserved “small group” day trips and on the South Coast tour, we were the only people so we had the van and guide/driver to ourselves!

Be prepared; Iceland is very expensive, but that’s not surprising considering its geographic location. It’s heaven for people who like to hike. We’re already talking about returning. The island is deceiving; don’t think you can see it all in a few days.

Unless you have questions - which I’d be happy to answer - I’m going to steer you to my blog, www.twoboomersabroad.com. I write the blog for the love of it and I get no money from it (much to the disappointment of my husband!). I’ll post some pix here to whet your appetite.

Ellen

Old Jul 14th, 2021, 01:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Incredible photos, glad you had a great time.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 12:11 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you had a good time. I would like to return some day and the PCR testing doesn't seem too bad which is nice to hear.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really enjoyed perusing your blog--all of it. Were you in Colombia in September of 2020 or were you posting about a pre-pandemic trip?
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Leely2, we were in Colombia in September 2019, so pre-Covid. Glad you enjoyed the blog!

Ellen
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We went in 2015 and were supposed to return last summer, but that of course got cancelled. We go back in a few weeks and are really looking forward to it! The first time was a. quick stopover, but this time we are taking two weeks and doing the Ring Road, like you with our adult kids and our sons gf. We are also booked to go, just the two of us, in February. We loved it and so are really anxious to get back! I am off to read our blog, thank you!
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

mms, as I mention in one of the blog posts, I think you really need two weeks to see the country and you're smart to schedule that much time. The next time I go, I want to continue around the Ring Road. What we saw was amazing, but we saw so little as it turned out. Our first trip was in February 9 years ago and we loved it both times and in both seasons.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 01:38 PM

Ellen--I enjoyed your blog and when I can sit down again and go through the final details of our itinerary, I will take notes from it to help. Yes, I am so glad we allowed enough time, although I still think we are short changing it. When we go in February we have 6 nights, so not much but probably ample for the winter. My husband and I have talked about moving there. Our son has been once and our daughter twice, but this will be the gf's first trip abroad, so I am really anxious to show her more the world!
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

mms, our daughter has told me repeatedly that she could absolutely live there. There's something about it as I say in the Reykjavik article that draws you in. And I love that it's continuously on the list of the happiest countries! I'm hoping to be able to go back in the not-too-distant-future. It's exciting that you'll be able to introduce your son's girlfriend to such a wonderful place!
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your response about your Colombia trip, Ellen. I've long wanted to visit the country, but obviously now is not the time.

I also enjoyed revisiting Naples through your eyes.

Haven't even looked at Iceland yet!
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 11:01 AM

Ellen, enjoyed your blog on Iland. We 2 senior couples are going for 5 days with Gate 1 travels. Now that it is finally getting close after 2 year postponed, We are wondering about clothing/warm jackets. Know you went in late June. do you have any recommendations? Did you wear more sneakers or boot during the trip. Jeans? warm enough?

Also any rec. for lunch in Reykjavik f-- did you come across any lunch places or dinner- know everything is expensive- but maybe you ran into a "local" spot along the way- How was the walking to the different points of interest (#the falls, etc.) would we need walking sticks?? don't mine rough paths, but don't want to jump from rocks to rocks--
Did you go to the Secret Lagoon in Fludir? an rec on what to bring in there?? or your children at the blue lagoon??
Can's wait. CJ donohue
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 11:27 AM

Ellen,
Continuence from previous reply.
just reread your Iceland blog-- you answered most of my ?. - Looks the gear needs to be more to protect you from the wind= Earmuffs for the walks to the main sights???
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Carole, yes I would recommend earmuffs and/or head coverings especially if you're going to be at elevation in the countryside.

You're going to have a wonderful time!

Ellen