driving from Copenhague to Paris?

Apr 10th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

driving from Copenhague to Paris?

hi! after a cruise we had 5 days left to go from Copenhague to Paris to take a flight...we should like to rent a car and drive dropping the car in the different location...what about the route?points of interest? do you know any rental accepting the dropp off in France?thanks!
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Do you mean Copenhagen, Denmark, or The Hague, Holland? Am I correct in that I suspect English is not your primary language? But, why drive? It's a long way and it's a killer if you get tired. Take the train and save yourself a lot of money and a lot of grief. Have you looked into flying on one of Europe's discount airlines?
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes..Spanish is my first language..I mean Copenhagen (Kovenhaven) Denmark...we love to drive and as we've been several times in Paris we thought it should be interesting seeing some interesting points on our way to Paris..I should appreciate some page to check the trains...yes I've checked Berlin Airlines...tks
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:17 PM
hsv

I don't think the drive would be too long for 5 days. It also covers some very pretty terrain (including a nice ferry crossing for 45 min. from Roedby to Puttgarden), so I would give you thumbs up from this perspective.

The only downside you need to evaluate is the amount of the drop-off fee for the car, which could be substantial as you will drop a Danish licensed car in France.
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:22 PM
hsv

Points of interest:

- Roskilde

- Luebeck
- Hamburg
- Bremen

either:
- Muenster
- Cologne
- Luxemburg
- Reims

or:
- Amsterdam
- Ghent

Apr 10th, 2007, 12:24 PM

The drop-off charge is likely to be horrible, but I'm sure that the drive is very interesting.

In any case, ask www.autoeurope.com for details about how much it would cost.
Apr 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM

OK, senora, drive if you wish. But I would rather spend the time available in Paris. I have made that journey, from Paris to Copenhagen, and it is flat country, mucho truck traffic, and the expense of renting, driving, and dropping off a car es muy caro.
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your suggestions...we're going to investigate a little more and make our decision...tks again
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM

After paying the ferry costs and VERY high drop off charges you will likely find that driving will cost much more than taking trains
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM

Hi

I've driven this journey several times for business.

It is not a pleasure trip ! Reckon on 12 hours. Turn into Holland ASAP and follow Antwerp/Brussels to escape the worst of the autobahn traffic.

On balance, I would train and hotel your way to Paris, just renting cars locally as needed.

Peter

Apr 10th, 2007, 11:43 PM

The suggestions made by HSV are very good. The distance is very well driveable. Two years ago I have driven within one day form Copenhagen to the Hague.

If you take enough stops and start driving after the morning rush-hour and stop driving before the evening rush-hour, you will be fine.

I would suggest to drive from Copenhagen to Luebeck or Hamburg (leave early and you can be there at the end of the morning). From Hamburg or Luebeck go in the direction of the Netherlands (cross the border near Emmen) and I would recommend staying in Zwolle, this is about 400 km (or continue to Amsterdam; about 100 km more). A nice historical town with enough shops/restaurants etc. Also some nice surrounding villages (Kampen, Elburg, Giethoorn).
The next day drive to Amsterdam. Then go to either Antwerp, Brussels or Gent. Lille in the north of france also is a lovely city. On the fifth day you will reach Paris.
If you want to spend a day in Paris; skip the Zwolle part.
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM

Sometimes rental companies have cars they want to send back, you might ask in Copenhagen if they have a car with a French plate.
Apr 11th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

I've got some fares for drop off ( Too High for a 4 day rental...and we don-t have enough time to ask there for a French plaques car.....
I should appreciate to get some link where to find train trips from Copenhagen to Paris...thanks for your help...
Apr 11th, 2007, 12:47 PM

You might want to segment your train ride in order to see towns and cities between Copenhague and Paris.