Driving from Beauvais to Burgundy

Apr 19th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Driving from Beauvais to Burgundy

We'll be flying into the Beauvais airport outside of Paris in late June, arriving before 9am. I'd like to immediately get out to the Burgundy area (Dijon, Beaune, or Semur-en-Auxois) and was thinking it would be best to rent a car, since we'd like to see the countryside.

I've never driven in France and would like to avoid heavily-trafficked cities if possible. Can I drive from Beauvais to Burgundy and avoid driving through Paris? I'm looking for easy, fast, and cheap, but realizing I'll have to give up at least one of those factors.

I've used viamichelin.com, but only saw an option to avoid toll roads. I couldn't figure out how to create a route and avoid Paris.

Also, any recommendations about a worthwhile short stop between Beauvais and Burgundy? Or should I just drive for 4 hours until I get there?

Thanks!
Apr 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Is this a second thread on the same subject? I remember posting a reply to a very similar post.
Apr 19th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Hi fakemark,
I agree with Underhill but maybe you didn't see his answer :
Author: Underhill
Date: 04/09/2005, 04:50 pm
You don't have to go into Paris to get to Burgundy. You can take the N31 across to Soissons, then the D1 south. There are also ways to go via the autoroute; probably now you should get the Michelin map for all of France to get a sense of how to get where most easily or by a scenic route.

still don't want to take TGV to Dijon and then rent a car there? you could save at least half a day.

Apr 19th, 2005, 09:25 AM
ira

Hi fake,

I looked up the route on www.mappy.com.

Going SE from Beauvais, you can exit the N1 at D104 and go east to the E19. Take that south to the A104 and head for Dijon.

Hope this helps.

Apr 19th, 2005, 11:05 AM
rex

I hate to add to your anxiety about your route... but I drove from Beauvais to Reims to Strasbourg a few years ago - - and the first 150 km, from Beauvais to Reims, which is 100% not on "les autoroutes" was much, much more tiring and "stressful" (though honestly, I never think of driving as "stressful") than the remainder! It was 2 km, then a roundabout, then 2 km, then a roundabout... over and over and over again.

Certainly Reims could be your stoppping place. You'll no doubt want one once you get there!

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everybody. Sorry, Underhill, I had totally forgotten about that. I appreciate the reminder, Cocofromdijon.

I mapped the route through Soisson. It looks like it would be a 5 hour drive to Dijon. Ugh! Maybe I should just take the train like you are saying, Coco.

*sigh*