Jazz bars in Venice

Apr 18th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Jazz bars in Venice

Has anyone been to Bacaro Jazz or 900 Jazz Club in Venice? Could you tell me about them please? Also, any other suggestions for jazz clubs there?
Apr 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Passed by Baccaro Jazz. I thought it was the only jazz in Venice. It's not live music but recorded. Seemed lively and friendly place.
Apr 18th, 2005, 03:59 PM

I have a great story about Bacaro Jazz in Venice. I was traveling in Italy for 3 weeks about 4 years ago. A guy I met in Vicenza highly recommended Bacaro to us. We arrived in Venice and found the bar. We opened the door and a guy (we later found out he was the owner) apologized and said he was closed for remodeling. There were a couple of people in there having a drink but it was obviously under construction. My friends walked on and I continued to talk with this man, telling him I was disappointed that he wasn't open because the place had been recommended. He then invited us in and opened up a bottle of Prosecco and proceeded to pour us drinks. He soon brought out appetizers and another bottle of Prosseco. We chatted with him for a couple of hours and had the place to ourselves except for his friends. When we were ready to leave we asked for the bill. He said everything was on the house because we were his invited guests. We bought t-shirts from him, gave him a big hug and wandered away from the place knowing that we would be back some day as a paying customer.

Cheers!
Apr 18th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

oh eurotraveler,
what a wonderful story! I love stories like this...have a few myself...they really show how people can connect despite language and national barriers, huh?
I think that's an excellent recommendation for Bacaro and even though we wanted live jazz, will certainly keep it in mind.

Thanks so much for sharing this.
Apr 18th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Does anyone have an address or directions for Bacaro? Is it anywhere near the San Marco area? We will be there in a few weeks and I would love to try and find it. Thank you.
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:20 PM

It's by Rialto bridge. Find yourself on Campo San Bartolomeo with Rialto behind you and walk to your left for about 50 meters. Baccaro is on your right just before a small bridge. Right after the bridge is Coin department store. See the map below. Baccaro is near Fondaco dei Tedeschi.

http://www.veneziasi.it/eng/mappa_ve...om.asp?map=g11

They have bar area in front. The middle and back area seemed basically for dinning.
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:38 PM

We ate at 900 Jazz club in Venice, and we really liked it. In fact, just two days ago, my husband brought it up to some friends saying that you really can eat well and inexpensively in Venice. Anyway, I don't know if they have live jazz or not, since when we were there, there was nothing special going on. They did, of course, have jazz music playing, though.

We found the place just sort of randomly, and when we went in, we were happy to find that it was filled with locals, not tourists. We ate tasty pizzas and, when we left, I told them it was my husband's birthday, so they gave us a grappa on the house . (it really was my husband's birthday--i wasn't just trying to get a free grappa out of them. honest).

anyway, it's a cute place--nice atmosphere. i will definitely go back.
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:35 AM

Thank you, Kappa. I am noting this in my travel log.
Apr 19th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Hi Artlover-I believe you might want to check out this place as well:

Centrale restaurant/lounge-www.centrale-lounge.com.

They serve food until 2AM (where can you find THAT in Venice??) A cool sleek space-jazz/house music. They bring you a plate of bruschetta as soon as you sit down to dinner, and have a full range of entrees. What I liked is that you can order a little or a lot, depending on how hungry you are-very friendly, VERY relaxing-the later you go the better-I loved it, but it is NOT your typical Venetian enoteca, more like a cool Milanese nightspot. I definitely will be back.

Address: Piscina Frezzaria-you can pull up in a water taxi as well.
Apr 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM

I might have to check these out, as well. Thanks for posting this. =)
Apr 19th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses. You're terrific! Will report back for sure.
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:34 PM

Putting this into my Venice file. I will report back as well.
Apr 20th, 2005, 12:05 AM

Centrale restaurant/lounge

..it is NOT your typical Venetian enoteca..

I agree. I passed in front of this place and had that impression (not typical Venetian). I did not enter but just picked up one of their cards they put on a rack stand outside.