Klosterneuburg

Apr 18th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Klosterneuburg

We will be staying just outside of Vienna, in the town of Klosterneuburg (away from the "tourist" crowd). We will be staying at the Alte Schranne appartments. Does anyone know if there is a ticket counter or ticket machine at the Kierling Bahnhof? I would like to purchase a weekly pass (Monday-Sunday) plus 1-extra zone to cover our frequent journies into the greater Vienna area. Thanks in advance for any help!
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:03 AM

There are two Bahnhofs in Klosterneuburg.
I believe Kierling is the central station ( downtown with the bus station just across the street)

You will find a self service machine that will sell train tickets and Vienna public transport tickets also. Just touch the screen and follow directions.
You will need one ticket for the train( assume you mean this as the extra zone)
And Vieena transport ticket for Bus, tram and subway( assume your weekly pass.
Be certain to validate these in the machine provided ( usually orange at the Bahnhof and blue on the city transport.)
I believe the Bahnhof also has a manned ticket window for some hours during the day. Check

The train only takes a few minutes into Vienna- Franz Josef Bahnhof- then take Tram D found just out front to the center of town.
Service is frequent by S- Bahn or regular train to Tulln and Krems.

Bus service is also frequent and will deliver you to the U- Bahn ( subway) for an easy journey.

Try the Heuriger Aigner in Klosterneuburg for good food and wine. They have a nice garden also if weather permits.
Apr 19th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Molker, for your helpful response. The website www.vor.at indicates (in the "Tickets" section) that I can purchase a Wochenkarte with 1-Aussenzone to cover our travels from Klosterneuburg (Aussenzone) into Vienna (Kernzone)during the period Monday-Sunday. The price is 12,50 Euros for the Kernzone and 9 Euros for the 1-Aussenzone, a total of 21, 90 Euros per week, per person. If this is correct, can this ticket be purchased at Kierling Bahnhof (or any Bahnhof/ U-Bahn Station)? This would save a lot of money. Thank you!
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Visit vienna transport site-
www.wienerlinien.at ( also available in english.) This will provide much information that you need.

An 8 day card for all Vienna Bus, tram and U-bahn ( subway) is 24 euros. A 72 hour ticket is 12 euros.
You will still need a train ticket as you mention -Klosterneuberg to Vienna.
These are calculated by the kilometer so it will not be much. I do not know this price as I do not ride that way.But the 9 euro is possible as the distance to the city border is not a long way.

I believe the VOR you refer to is the Bus Lines outside of Vienna. Still you may be able to buy a combination ticket also.
The above train and Vienna tickets are available in the self service machine that you will find on the train platform. This will be in the form of a computer type screen in a metal frame with room to insert money. Most are orange colored, I think. The ticket and change will drop down in lower left hand cover under a plastic flap.They will provide much information to you on the screen regarding the tickets.
Just touch the screen and follow directions. It will accept euro coins or bills.
As I mentioned before the train station will be open at times to sell tickets. These times vary by station. ( usually peak commuter times).and you can get added information there.
Or go to the ticket counter in Franz Josef bahnhof. This is the end station for your train to Vienna.
Be certain to validate tickets in the machine provided at the station and on Vienna transport as they seem to be doing more control checks now and loook for this.
Apr 19th, 2005, 01:18 PM

To differ with Molker, I believe that the trains in the Vienna outlying areas have been incorporated into the VOR regional system and therefore a single weekly pass with Aussenzone and Kernzone will suffice for both transportation from Klosterneuburg to Vienna and also transport within Vienna.

The rail line into Vienna does end at the Franz-Josef Bahnhof, but sometimes it is more convenient to get off earlier at the Heiligenstadt Bahnhof, which is on a U-Bahn line.
Apr 20th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Molker and Musicteacher for all of your kind help! I like to be armed with as much information as possible when traveling.