Search

driving from Colmar to Beaune, then Beaune to Chamonix

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving from Colmar to Beaune, then Beaune to Chamonix

Hello to all!
I wonder if someone can tell me if there is an especially scenic route between Colmar and Beaune? Or any places of interest along the way? I have a Michelin map but it's 1:1,000,000 scale. It has some green routes on it but not a lot of detail. After 2 days in Colmar I have planned only one night in Beaune, will just be visiting the hospice and exploring the town, maybe browse the market before I leave the next day.
Then from Beaune to Chamonix there seems to be many options, so many that I'm confused! Any suggestions? After 4 days in Chamonix I'll be heading for Annecy for one night, then the TGV to Paris for a week. It's to be a bit of a whirlwind trip obviously. Places of interest to me mean pertaining to history, culture, and scenery.
Thanks in advance...this is my first trip to France so I'm relatively clueless!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM
ira

Hi T,

Unfortunately you are going the wrong way.

We drove from Beaune to Colmar as follows:

We took the A6/A31 toward Dijon, skirted Dijon on the A31 and took the D70 toward Vesoul, easily navigated through the industrial area on the outskirts of Vesoul (very proud of self) onto the N57 toward Remiremont.

We made a pit stop at the Ruchan Hypermarché in Luxeuil les Bains, and had lunch at the Sun 7 self-serve buffet across from the supermarket. I hope that these folks are successful. The room looks like a McD, but they offer hot and cold platters, beverages and desserts of good quality at reasonable prices.

A cheese plate and bowl of fresh fruit, marinated herring with a roll and a pitcher of rosé cost 9E.

Fortifies and gassed up, we continued on the N57, and picked up the D417 to Gérardmer. I had intended to take the D8 out of Gérardmer and head to Kientzheim on the N415, but we missed the turn.

Rather than go back, we continued on the D417, which turned out to be very serendipitous. The road climbs up and over the mountains, but it was not so precipitous that it caused Roberta much discomfort. We saw Lac Longemer. Made a quick detour to La Roche du Diable.

Drove through beautiful mountain scenery, and then came out of the woods above the Munster Valley. Absolutely spectacular!

I suggest that you follow the D417 out of Colmar. When you get beyond the top of the mountain, turn around and go back.

The view of the valley is worth it.

We svery much enjoyed our stay in Beaune at www.hotel-grillon.fr.

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira, just what I was looking for - altho the "going the wrong way" bit almost threw me! "What? Already? I haven't even gotten there yet and I'm already lost!" That valley sounds lovely, maybe I can stop in Munster for breakfast! I'll make sure to find a spot or two to stop and look back. And I have to ask: La Roche du Diable-what and where would that be?Kientzheim isn't even on my map...might have to get a better one. But it looks like D417 for me too, maybe continue south on D486 (also a green route) for a ways, looks like it runs along the River Ognon and connects with the A36 which will practically put me in Beaune.
The Hotel Grillon looks like a nice place and location-1 km from the hospice. Was it hard to find?
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 06:25 AM
ira

Hi T,

>And I have to ask: La Roche du Diable-what and where would that be?

The Devil's Rock. You will see signs for it on the D417.

>Kientzheim isn't even on my map...might have to get a better one.

I used the Michelin 516: Alscae, Lorraine and 519: Bourgogne. You won't need 520.

>But it looks like D417 for me too, maybe continue south on D486 (also a green route) for a ways, looks like it runs along the River Ognon and connects with the A36 which will practically put me in Beaune.

I couldn't go that route because the mountains are too steep for my LW. It is a good idea.

Unless you enjoy driving on Interstates, I suggest that you take the A36 West to Exit 2.1 and the D36 South to the N73.

Follow that toward Beaune, It will take you to the D973 just outside Clux.

Follow the D973 toward Beaune. It becomes the Route de Seurre. The Grillon will be on your right, not too far beyond the A6.

See my trip report for more details:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35014078

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 7th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Ira, your trip report is a fantastic read, and contains great information! I'll be re-reading it before I leave in September. Thanks again...