Driving from Barcelona to Nice or Monaco

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Ladybug

Driving from Barcelona to Nice or Monaco

How long would it take to drive directly from Barcelona to the French Riviera in mid-July, and can you recommend an interesting route for a first-time visitor?
Would also appreciate hearing about any noteworthy sights or restaurants along the way, and how much additional time to allow for those stops. Thanks very much!!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Rex

I'd recommend three-five days if possible at all, even though you could probably do it in under ten hours. Check one of the following websites for driving times and mileage:

www.viamichelin.com
www.mappy.com

or

www.shellgeostar.com

Some places along the way I have enjoyed:

Monserrat, Seu d'Urgell and Andorra (the latter the least important)

Perpignan (whizzed through)

Sete

Aigues Mortes

Montpellier

Aix-en-Provence (not really on the way)

Montauroux and Tourettes

the Corniche de l'Esterel

Antibes

and I didn't mention Collioure (I haven't been there personally) but it gets raves consistently.

So, this could be a complete trip to Europe, if you let it.

It's up to you, your imagination and a good map.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Ladybug

Hello, Rex - thanks very much for your comments. You are one of the "regulars" I had hoped to hear from, and as usual you give info that's very helpful in planning/preparing for a trip. Sometimes the value is simply in seeing a new perspective, especially for a short trip of less than a week. So, in this particular case, maybe traveling by train will make more sense than driving.

Thank You for taking the time to respond!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Rex

You're welcome.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:49 AM
John

Rex was right on the money but he didn't mention Carcasonne. I guess I travel for "eating and drinking" because the Cassoulet was to die for and the castle is a Kodak moment!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Pablo

Ladybug - how are you handling the car rental? My wife and I are planning a similar trip (Barcelona, driving through the riviera) in September. Thanks.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Rex

I didn't mention Caracassonne because I have never been there personally. But I wouldn't want to disagree. It is a little more off the straight path between Barcelona and Nice - - but then again, so is my initial loop (through Andorra).

The car question is very germane, as I think that most car rentals will impose a hefty drop charge for pickup in Spain and drop-off in France.

I solved this problem once by flying into Perpignan, renting there and taking that car in to Spain, for subsequent complaetion of the itinerary back in France.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:58 PM
ttt

upping

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 06:41 AM
mpprh

Hi

I live almost exactly half way.
Reckon the direct trip to be 700kms.
I've done both Barcelona and Cannes in three hours, but under ideal conditions (leave 05.00 in January, arrive for breakfast).

Avoiding weekends, it should be possible in 7 hours.

Rex has listed the places.
My homepage has info on the Languedoc areas.

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com