Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Annecy to Turin through Valle d'Aosta - - is the town of Aosta itself, the best idea for a 2 hour stop?

Search

Driving from Annecy to Turin through Valle d'Aosta - - is the town of Aosta itself, the best idea for a 2 hour stop?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still struggling with the logistics aspects of our Paris/Piemonte/Burgundy trip in September, and the idea that I'm currently liking best involves a (relatively) inexpensive flight from Paris into Annecy, then from there drive onward into Turin via Chamonix/Mont Blanc tunnel/Courmayeur, Aosta etc. The appeal of this approach is that the flight is at a good time of day (11:30 departure versus the 8:25 departure nonstop to Turin which means leave the hotel at 6 am, most likely) - - and the ability to rent a car in France which we will return in France.

It's about three hours, so it would be good to break up the drive. I realize that there are a lot of cool castles, and some good wine co-operatives along the way (wine is one of the primary objectives of this trip)...

... but it looks like Aosta itself is our best bet for a 2 hour stop. My BIL and his wife are hoping to get a "taste of Italy" on this brief (about 48 hour) excursion, (two nights in Turin), and thus, the "Rome of the North" might work to whet their appetites to go back and really see (some more of) Italy. Plus the big "Enoteca Ad Forum" in Aosta looks like a good place to taste and buy.

The available web sites don't really provide a good skeleton for a walking tour of Aosta, and the only good book that I see on Amazon is in pre-production (published by Touring Club of Italy). Does anyone have any sources that I haven't found... that would help plan this? I suppose I will send an e-mail to the relevant tourism bureaus, requesting snail mail shipment of any literature or brochures they have to share.

Or do you have a better idea of a place to stop?

Thanks in advance for all replies... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:21 AM

Aosta is lovely! My husband and I live in Lausanne and decided one time to drive over the St. Bernard pass to Aoste and have lunch. It's a lovely old town with lots of nice little restaurants and clothes shops. We liked it so much that we also stopped again on our way driving home from Nice.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:12 AM
rex
Original Poster

Thanks, beau... any and all other perspectives still welcome.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:00 PM
rex
Original Poster

Too many options, too little time!

I wasn't going to browse through the dozens and DOZENS of agriturismo choices in the Aosta Valley, but...

...this one looks awfully appealing:

http://www.lavrille-agritourisme.com

Anyone ever stay here (or in any of the agriturismo properties in the Aosta Valley)?

Realistically, I am planning too many one-night stays already, and we really should stick with our two nights in Torino plan, but... it's hard not to look!

For context, here is our current plan:

Wed (day 0) - fly out
Thu (day 1) - arr Paris, spend one night; agenda set on "low", perhaps dinner at Altitude 95
Fri (day 2) - fly Orly-to-Annecy (11:30 am flight, arrive 12:45 pm), drive from there through Valle d'Aosta; stay Torino
Sat (day 3) - Torino (2nd night)
Sun (day 4) - drive back into France; stay near Chambery
Mon (day 5) - lunch-and-more stop in Lyon; late afternoon-and-dinner in Beaune; stay midway btwn Beaune and Dijon
Tue (day 6) - split day between too many choices: Clos de Vougeot and/or Dijon and/or Avallon; spend the night midway between Burgundy and Fontainebleau
Wed (day 7) - return to Paris (morning visit to Fontainebleau?); stay in Paris for final three nights
Thu (day 8) - Paris
Fri (day 9) - Paris
Sat (day 10) - 2 pm departure from CDG
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Aosta is a wonderful small city for a stop-over break en-route, and if you can't find information in advance, there is a good information centre in the main piazza where you can get a good map and guide book. Also try www.regione.vda.it/turismo
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:23 AM

Aosta is delightful. Lots of Roman ruins. Quiet and walkable. Friendly natives. Good food.

Jinx Hoover
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM

Hi Rex - Courmayeur would also make a very pleasant stop - especially if you plan to do the cable car ride up Mont Blanc ...

Steve
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Aosta is a cute little town and the Roman Ruins are worth exploring. We found that another favorite activitiy is Demolition Derbies (we found out one Friday night).