Driving Distances in Turkey

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Melissa Tea

Driving Distances in Turkey

Can anyone provide me with estimated driving times and suggested routes from Antalya to Kalkan and Kalkan to Bodrum?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Mike

http://www.shellgeostar.com/
Look it up.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:33 PM
murat

Antalya to Kalkan 3,5 hours if you drive relaxed, you could either take coastal or mountain roads. coastal road is beautiful if you dont mind some curvy bits. Try to drive daytime. ( I used to live in Kalkan and drove that road hundrets of time ) Kalkan to Bodrum 5,5 hours. Kalkan, Fethiye, Dalaman, Yatagan, Milas and finally Bodrum. You may want to stop by Dalyan on the way. I presume you will visit Fethiye while you are in Kalkan.

Tips : Try to see the Phaselis, Kekova and the sunken city, Myra ( they are on the way to Kalkan , Patara and Patara Beach, Saklýkent Gorge, Tlos, Xanthos, Pinara ancient sites on the way to Fethiye. You can do mini daytrips. A day of Gulet charter in Kalkan could be cream on the cake...

I am curious where you are staying in Kalkan.

Have a lovely time and good trip in Turkey.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:17 PM
abc

TO:Mike ([email protected])

Great Web page but NO HOTEL FOR TURKEY?

WHY?

ABC

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Melissa

Murat,

The travel times indicated on the shellgeostar website are much shorter than you've indicated. I'm assuming the difference is between taking coastal roads versus inland roads - is that correct? We were thinking of staying at Villa Mahal in Kalkan. Do you have any thoughts on this hotel? Thanks, Melissa

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:46 AM
murat

Hi Melissa,

Well what a surprise ! I used to manage that hotel until June 2001

Believe me this time for the driving distances than shellgeostar, becouse I have been driving up and down on the coast. I could drive in 2,5 hours coastal but the traffic related fines are hurting. The diffrence between coastal and mountain road is 15 min. only. ( coastal road longer ofcourse )

I could assist you to book in Villa Mahal if you like to give some tips. Drop me few lines if you wish to.

Kalkan is still my favorite dispate the new developments & buildings there.

Regards,

Murat

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Melissa

Hi, Murat. Thanks for the information. What is the "best" room at Villa Mahal? Is it the Pool Room? We've emailed for reservations, but thanks for offering to help. Can you recommend any restaurants in Kalkan? Also, how long will it take for us to drive from Ephesus to Izmir? Thank you so much for your helpful advice, and feel free to email me directly at [email protected].

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Susan

Melissa, we stayed in Kalkan for 4 nights in September 2000. I loved it! It's a picture perfect town. We stayed in a small pension which had a wonderful restaurant above it - the pension was called Daphne, I think, and the restaurant might have been called Aubergine. The owner had a small gallery on the main floor with her photography. They also owned another restaurant in the harbour. There was another restaurant that we liked as well - unfortunately I can't remember the name. The town is really lovely.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Paule

We stayed at the Villa Mahal, too, for 3 days last September. It's an elegant resort just a short drive out of the town, and you can take the hotel's boat to town, too. As far as I can tell, there is no room with pool, though. I had read about a pool in one of the travel guides, but none seemed to exist when we were there. Maybe it was planned, but never got built?

It's very pretty, there, too. The hotel rooms are very spare, postmodern Mediterranean, but very comfortable. And you'll get LOTS of exercise walking up and down the stairs to the water! It's great, though, and very relaxing there.

Know that Kalkan has become very popular at that time of year and very crowded. We found it especially popular with English tourists. It was the only town I found that the shops & restaurants advertised their prices in pounds, not dollars. If you go, we met a really nice guy with a carpet shop, and has good-quality stuff.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Murat

Melissa,

Pool room is fine if you could book. Alternatively the Sunset Suite ( I named this room when built)or room n umber 203.

Aubergine, Tango, Korsan, Ýlliada are few to name as restaurants. You can tell the guys my regards

I will e-mail you names at villa mahal which will enlighten your stay...

Ephesus to izmir about 45 to 55 min. by car.

Take care and regards

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:58 AM
jen

Don't underestimate driving times. I drove for 12 days this spring and every day was longer than we'd estimated. Sometimes there are goats on the road; sometimes you get stopped for speeding (fines to be paid in Turkish lire on the spot, not cheap, like 10 km over the speed limit =about $60).
Ephesus to Ismir is not far, but Izmir was hard to navigate in and we spent as much time finding our hotel once in Izmir as we did driving there from Ephesus. We saw the same traffic circle about 18 times, which was actually comforting after a while ('hey, we know where we are!').
Try to get into Ephesus as soon as they open, to avoid marble roads so crowded that you won't be able to stop for a moment without being knocked over.