turkey trip report

Nov 16th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

turkey trip report

just got back from turkey. oct.5-23. wonderful people and beautiful country. a bit expensive than expected. alot of places along the coast quoted in euro, we paid in lira. stayed in istanbul for 4 nights at the hilton in taksim area- hap free points. expensive to cab it to old town about 20-25 lira. traffic was very bad!! we learned to take the cab to galata bridge then take the tram to old town, much cheaper. careful with cabs though. one guy tried to charge us 32 lira for the trip and when we got to our hotel we had the concierge intervene and we ended up paying 20 lira. flew to cappadocia and rented a car from here. reserved thru "e-sixt" best price i found and was referred to me by another traveler. 340 euro for 12 days. decent car w/ a/c but not much choices at the airport. 4 days in cappadocia-wonderful!!!! had an incrduble guide Fatih Ayas and his father. email: [email protected] took us to where no other tourists were. walked thru the valleys and had dinner at his home with his family for 2 nights. incredible hospitality!! charged only 40usd/day for us. hire him and you will not regret it!! stayed at hotel akuzun in urgup, very close to town. newer very clean but a little thin on the walls. paid 60usd.night. drove to antalya 6.5 hrs. 2 nights stayed at aspen hotel in old town paid 32euro/night for myself and husband. includes breakfast/dinner great value!! booked with local agency called "agne [email protected] went to termessos-awesome!! and aspendos
babaran continued trip report: from here drove to kalkan 3nights atyed at tekinberk otel in center of town, great, modern clean rooms. 45usd.night paid in cash and with discount cause end of season. only breakfast was a disappointment. from here day trips to patara beach-beautiful. to tlos ruins and xantthos ruins. tried to drive to pinara ruins but road is very bad scared our car would get a flat so turned around. also drove to kas and to kalekoy hired a boat 50 lira whole day took us to kekova/semina and swimming. kekova to us was a bit overated. couldnot really see the underground city. but the castle at semina was nice esp. the view. from kalkan drove to dalyan for 2 nights. very nice relaxing place wish we spent 1 more night to do some island hopping. went to the hot sp[rings. make sure you have the boat take you to the farthest hot springs as this is much nicer and less crowded.went to ruins of kaunos, very nice adn the lycian tombs also very nice. drove to selcuk 2 nights stayed at nizhan pension. very small and alot of clutter!! 60lira/night. tried to get into hotel nilya but booked. Ephesus was spectacular!!! walked up then back down spent 4 hours-awesome. bought a picture book in town for 5usd. drove to izmir 1 night to visit pergamon-also great!! and stayed at hilton then flew back to instabul for last night. shopped at grand bazar for some "pashmina" 10 lira. haggle!! flew on turkish air- booked in usa before hand. enjoy
Nov 16th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Thank you for posting such a comprehensive report.
Nov 20th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Lee

Thanks for the informative report.
Did you find the road trip to Antalya difficult driving?
Nov 21st, 2005, 02:52 AM

I'm also interested to hear about the drive from Cappadoccia to Antalya, as we're debating whether to fly (via Istanbul) to Dalaman or to drive. Is the drive through an isolated area? We haven't got a decent map yet and were worried that it may be a bad place to break down or run out of petrol. Is there anything worth stopping to see en-route? Any advice welcome.
Nov 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM

From Cappadocia to Konya, it takes about 3 hours to drive. The road between Aksaray and Konya is quite boring as there is nothing interesting to see around and the road is straight without any curves which makeks the driver quite sleepy. However, you can give a break in Aksaray (Orhan Aðaçlý Tesisleri) and in Sultanhaný to visit the largest caravanserai in Anatolia opn the way to Konya. If you want to visit the Mausoleum of the Sufi Poet Mevlana Jeluliddin Rumi and the Seljuk period tile museum (Karatay Medresesi) and the Alaaddin Mosque in Konya, you had better spend the night in Konya because you have some 4-5 more hours to drive to Antalya. When driving to Antalya take Seydiþehir- Akseki road (which is undoubtedly one of the most scenic routes in Turkey. The road is quite wide (3-4 lanes at times) and there are good spots to stop for refreshments around Akseki. (Týnaztepe or Ömer Duruk) You will definitely be fascinated by the breath taking scenery of the Taurus mountains near Akseki and do remember to enjoy the only living Cedrus Lebani forests in the area. Happy driving.

with all good wishes.
Nov 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

the drive was not difficult nor boring. the taurus mountains were spectacular. there are many petrol stations on this route as it is well travelled. you may want to take the advice of asiaminor and stop in between instead of driving straight to antalya. now driving in antalya was difficult even with a good map w/c you can buy at any major city. a little advice on the gas statins, avoid petrol offisi, for 1 thing they said my crdit card was declined so luckily we had enough cash but when we got back home they charged my credit card w/c i am disputing.keep all recp. if you can stick to shell/bp. goodluck and enjoy
Dec 8th, 2005, 02:02 AM

My wife and I just returned from a 5 day stay in Istanbul. What a fantastic city! So much history, atmosphere, great food and friendly people.

The only negative experience was with the taxi's as the first poster on this thread warned of. We found that warning as well as other's to be true.
We took a taxi from our hotel to the grand bazzar which cost us a little over 7 lira. Nice driver,honest fare.
The same trip back to the hotel in a different cab suddenly jumped to 23 lira. The driver had kept complaining about the bad traffic as if he was preparing us for an inflated fare although it was the same traffic as the trip in. After a few minutes of our protesting the fare he said "OK 10 lira" knowing we had caught him. I gave him a 20 lira bill which he quickly and slyly switched with an old bill worth 2.50 lira that he passed back to me and said "No, you give me 10 lire". The look of disgust in my wife's face after he tried the switch totaly shamed the guy and he quickly took back his 2.50 lire and gave us the correct change of 10 lire.

Of note:
The old bills are in millions so if you're not paying attention the numerous zero's can get you confused.

Another driver had tried the same exact bill switch the day before but I caught that one also. Two bad out of about 10 taxi rides.

I had read about these exact warnings on this forum before taking the trip so I was prepared. My thanks to those who posted to be on gaurd. I guess this goes on in all cities and was not a true reflection of the countless Turkish people we met who were so overly kind and helpfull. We felt very comfortable and safe in the city and would return in a heartbeat being that there is so much to see and experience that this one trip only gave us a glimpse of.

We also found the service at the Istanbul Hilton to be exceptional. Such freindly and attentive staff that seem to take much pride in their work. It was by far the most pleasant stay that we have had at comparible hotels all over Europe.