Driving between Venice & Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In September, we're taking a 9-day trip to Italy (our first time). We're spending four nights in Tuscany after visiting Venice for a couple days. Since we needed to rent a car for Tuscany anyway, I decided to book a car in Venice, drive to Tuscany and eventually drop off in Orvieto before heading to Rome. I got a fine rate of $259.20 for the entire 4-day rental on www.autoeurope.com. My question: Are we crazy to drive from Venice to Tuscany? Is it difficult to navigate the roads between the two and find your way around, especially when we know very little Italian?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Best,
Kelly
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:03 PM

You are not crazy at all. This is not a complicated drive. And you don't need to know Italian - since almost all road signs in europe are symbols rather than words (because there are so many foreigners on the roads).

The one thing you do need to know is "senso unico" which means one way. The center of most Italian cities and towns have lots of one-way streets and it is sometimes complicated to get from here to there due to one-ways - but we simply do as the Italians - and back down the street if necesary.

Caveat: You do need to get some really good road maps. I reco Michelin for the areas of Italy you will be traveling in - as well as detailed driving (not walking) maps for each of the towns you will be in. You can download the latter from mappy.com or viamichelin.com.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, NYTraveler. Glad to know we're not setting ourselves up for disaster by driving instead of taking the train. I'm not too worried about other drivers in Italy -- we're very accustomed to maniac drivers in NJ. But am a little worried about getting lost along the way...
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Hi! I have to say, picking up a car in Venice was much easier than I ever expected. We drove down to Gubbio, Assisi,Sienna, and on into Rome. Road signs were easy to read and I hate to say it, we did'nt really have a great road map. Navigating the cities was a bit more difficult. For us, the speed was a little alarming but if you stay to the right it was ok. If you have an agressive driver in the seat, just leave your left blinker on and follow the crowd. Have a great time!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Perfect -- I have almost the same question. We are first timers as well. We are thinking of driving from Rome, staying in Montalcino for a few days with Florence as a day trip and then heading to Venice as our final destination. Is the $259 rate US? I am in Canada
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mishka,
Yes, the $259 is U.S. dollars and includes all fees except perhaps insurance, which you have to buy direct from the rental company. I found www.autoeurope.com to be very helpful.
Thanks for all the help!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:47 PM
rex

Actually, autoeurope should quote you the (<i>mandatory</i insurance in the price they give you.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:16 AM
ira

Ditto, Rex