driving assistance asap Provence

May 11th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

driving assistance asap Provence

I was advised against driving in Avignon, but that seems unavoidable now. We will be staying just outside of St Remy and the day we plan to go to Avignon our son will take the TGV to Lyon for the day. I would like detailed instructions if possible from Domaine de Valmouriane on Petite Route des Baux (D27) to the TGV station and then to parking in Avignon close to the Popes Palace.
Upon leaving Avignon we would like to go to Pont du Gard, then we will need to return to the TGV to pick up our son.
Another question - is there public transportation or taxi from near where we stay (St Remy or elsewhere) so he could either leave or return by that mode?
Leaving on the 20th. Thanks so much for any help.
May 11th, 2007, 06:39 AM
ira

Hi M,

Have you tried www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com?

May 11th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,
I'm trying. I am just so bad at using these sites. I guess I don't know where I am or where I'm going. (You are supposed to laugh here.)
May 11th, 2007, 07:07 AM

what is it about those sites that you can't use? You plug in your place of departure and your destination and they give you directions. I'm not understanding what you don't get.

Maybe you need a GPS system.
May 11th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

StCirq,
Anything new to me presents a little getting use to. Persevere I must. As to a GPS, I think it is a little late for that on this trip. That would probably give me anxiety as well even though I have one in my car. However, my son and husband would do well with a GPS. Now as to the maps, they will drive but are depending on me to have all the planning done and be the "tour director" and navigator.
May 11th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Why would you need to park near the Palais du Popes????? We always park in the covered train station garage outside the medieval walls, and then walk into town.

Stu Dudley
May 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi Stu,
I see two parking areas by Gare Avignon centre. One on Monclar and on ave du blanchissage (I think - hard to read) nearer police station. Are they both ok or is one better?
May 11th, 2007, 08:27 AM

I wouldn't want to drive through Avignon, but I've driver on the outskirts and parked in the underground garage right under the Place du Palais. It's not that difficult, you enter to that garage right from the big main highway that goes along the river beside Avignon (the one leading to the TGV station)--I think you enter at the Porte du Rocher. It's well-marked that the entrance is for the parking garage at the Palais des Papes. I would think it would be just a lot easier than going to the regular train station, if you are coming from the Avignon TGV station, as it's on the same road just a few miles north.
May 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Both are fine - the one to the west night not be a covered garage.

Stu Dudley
May 11th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Do you have a Michelin map of Provence? You shouldn't leave home without it. Avignon is not that large--we stayed just outside the walls and walked into town quite easily.
May 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina. Your info in most helpful. Yes Gretchen I do have a Michelin map of Provence and am frantically studying it. Thanks again to all of you.