Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drivers license or other documents for ID?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this isn't a really dumb question, but for a trip from US to Europe, is there any reason at all to bring a drivers license or copy of one for ID purposes (assuming one is not driving!)? I'd think a passport would be enough, but I'm new at this. I'm used to being asked for a drivers license when I use a credit card here, but I don't know if they would do that overseas. Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM

Leave it home if you do not plan to drive.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM

I bring my drivers license with me so I can leave it (instead of a credit card or passport) when I rent audioguides at museums and other sites.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM

Be sure you know your pin number for use with your credit card. I never use a pin number in the US, but I couldn't use my credit card for train tickets or cash without it in Europe. It was a big bummer.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Orcas: You can use a credit card w/o a PIN to buy train tix - IF you go to a staffed ticket window. You just can't use the automated machines. And one shouldn't use a credit card to get cash anyway . . . .
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:42 AM

Khermann-Chepar's response is right on the mark-I never take my passport with me, because if you lose it, or it gets stolen, you will have mass problems getting another, which would be a monumental hassle that I would not care to deal with, as I have had my purse stolen, but I didn't have to replace my passport, so although very stressful, it did not ruin my trip, as I could get another credit card and cash, and of course, I had my passport picture ID. So I don't carry it, and don't recommend carrying it; the passport goes right in the safety box, if I'm in a hotel, or it stays in the apartment, locked up.

But you must always have some form of government issued ID on you when you are out and about, that is law in most European countries, certainly Italy. Last August, I got stopped on the street one night in Milan (they were looking for some eastern european girl-and it was dark!) I told the Milan police officer that I was American, and he asked to see my passport (we were speaking in Italian)and I told him I never carry my passport with me, and HIS response was "but you must have your ID with you, it is law." And my response was, "si, ma ho infatti la mia patente di guida con me" (but I DO have my driver's license with me) and his response was, oh, well, va bene, as long as it's a govt.-issued ID. He looked at it, very briefly, then bowed, looked at me and said "bella serata, signora," That was sort of funny!

So instead of using my passport, I use my driver's license-that is also true in internet points, I have offered my driver's license, and that is accepted, and although the law says passport, that law can be interpreted by law enforcement to cover any government-issued ID, which is exactly what a driver's license is.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM

Agree with the other posters here.

I always carry my driver's license for ID. I also carry my global medical card (because if your hurt and can't communicate how they gonna know you have medical insurance?) and 1 credit card.

I always leave my passport and other credit card safety tucked away in my hotel/or the place I am staying.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM

I find it interesting that the law about being able to produce an ID is consistently "interpreted" by hotels in Europe as meaning a passport and not a driver's license.

Khermann, a driver's license is just as easy to lose as a passport.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used my driver's license as a deposit for audioguides, as someone noted above. I would much rather lose my driver's license than my passport for two reasons: it is much easier to replace it when I get home, and I don't actually need it to get back to the US.

I have heard of people being asked for passports as ID in order to use credit cards, particularly in Spain, but I personally have never been asked for ID when using a credit card in Europe.

The only time I have been asked for my passport other than at airports has been checking into hotels, and of course I always have it then.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:23 AM

I always take my driver's license with me anywhere, why wouldn't you? It's not heavy or big. I do it for the reasons cheap says, but I have to, anyway, as I drive to the airport (and home). I much prefer to use it for ID at times when traveling, rather than my passport -- such as for depositing as an ID, as noted, for audioguides. Besides, what if you had to drive for some unexpected reason? Well, maybe some people can't imagine such a thing, but if your flight home got diverted to an airport several hundred miles from your home, and you'd be stuck there overnight, you might want to rent a car and drive home yourself (true story, happened to me).

It's a lot more problematic to lose a passport than a driver's license -- you can cross borders with your passport, but not with only your DL (or fly home). Some places in Europe may ask for an ID when using a credit card, but they would certainly accept a passport for that purpose, of course.

A passport is enough, of course, if that is your only consideration and you can't imagine ever wanting to drive under any circumstances before you get home to your own house.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM

Pass ports are the preferred ID You should also make some copies of the picture page of your passport.

Don't forget to call your CC companies and advise them whewn and where you are going..otherwise you may find them blocked for use..for your security!
Enjoy...........
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM

Kherman,
Earlier this year we traveled to France and the Lady at the AA check-in wanted two government issued forms of identifications. Passport and drivers license work fine.
I have used ATM and credit cards in Europe without being asked for ID's but I do carry a copy of my passport ID page in my wallet when outside the USA.
I do agree carrying more documents than needed can be a problem but copies of my passport inside a ziplock bag is in each of my bags and my wallet. Here is another way to do it is to e-mail a copy of your passport ID page to yourself.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Earlier this year we traveled to France and the Lady at the AA check-in wanted two government issued forms of identifications</i>&quot;

Are you sure?? A passport trumps other forms of ID. If you have a valid passport they can't very well demand anything else.

I'm one of those who doesn't generally take my DL unless I am going to drive. Have taken MANY trips to, about half of them w/o a DL and never once have I been asked for anything other than my passport.
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM

I find that odd, also, as I've never been asked for two forms of ID by the airline at check-in (including AA). Their own website says you only need a passport for international travel. Perhaps there was something irregular in that case, like names on tickets slightly different than the ID or something? I've never had to produce more than one ID, so the odds are it won't happen, but I always carry mine anyway and don't understand why someone would think it a burden to carry. Obviously, many people do, however.