Driver in Turkey

Apr 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Driver in Turkey

I will be traveling to Turkey in a few weeks and plan to spend several days in the central Mediterranean area. I will be staying in Selcuk and want to visit Ephesus, Didyma, Prieme, Aphrodisias and other Greek and Roman sites. About how much should I pay for a car and driver per day? As I am an archaeologist I do not really need or want a guide.
Thank you!
Apr 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM

I, too, will be in Selcuk (at the Nilya) for a few days beginning June 9. We prefer to be independent rather than guided, but can you recommend a decent historical/archaeological reference to Ephesus to have with us? The ones available at sites are often not good, and I haven't found anything yet.

Sorry this is not really a response to your question...
Apr 26th, 2008, 04:24 AM

byctraveler212,

If you hire a driver you have to pay fee (daily $50-75) plus his food and hotel. renting a car is easy part (start $50 to $250) because gassoline price is verfy high in Turkey (3.35 NTL per liter) almost double if you compare the price between NYC and Turkey.

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:09 AM

I would suggest going through a travel agency based close to the sites you want to visit. That way, you won't have to pay for the driver's hotel, since he/she can return home each night. That's what we did for our trip last July. We used AnkerTravel in Kusadisi for excursions to Ephesus and beyond. We also had a guide with us, so our rate was higher than it would have been just for a driver and van. You can check out reputable agencies through the Turkeytravelplanner.com website.
Apr 26th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Logically speaking..you can rent the car and just drive yourself..all the sites you are mentioning are not to far away from Selcuk and the roads are easy enough to maneuver and negotiate.

here is a bit from our road trip trip last year in Feb...

Our second day was again an early start and now off to the Aydin district to see Priene, Miletus, Didyma. We also stopped at the Temple of Zeus at Eurmos, Baffa Lake which both of these are before Didyma on the main highway. The stop at Euramos however was not as cearly marked on the road and we almost missed it. Didyma was great with the carved faces, temple of Apollo, and sculptures. Miletus has wonderful spread out ruins with a large theater and a great view of the valley from the top of the castle walls. Here we had a great late lunch of turkish gozleme. Priene just off the mainroad was also very good with it's temple and large marble ruins, churches and theater but a bit of a steep walk up to the site and it was cold and windy at the top.

All these areas are wonderful and I my opinion not to be missed with great stops, beautiful views and wonderful history. We drove from Priene towards Selcuk arriving in the early evening and stayed there one night.

Our third day was visiting the The church of St. John the Baptist, Virgin Mary's house then of to Ephesus. Again nothing can describe the mystical and regious awe of these places. We were also greeted by a small snow shower at the Virgin Mary's house making it a remarkable visit. You have to see them for your self. We did however miss out the Temple of Artemis. Don't know how but we failed to see it just outside the Selcuk area. Well there is always a next time. We also decided to skip the graves of the 7 sleepers and continue our day's drive towards Bergama ( Pergamon ) We left the Selcuk area at about 1 pm.

Arrived in Bergama and followed the signs to the Acropolis. Passed the Red Castle and continued upwards along the mountain road. Once we were on the top of the Upper Acropolis here again stunning views of the city and below the middle ruins ( Asklepieion ). At the Upper Acropolis many wonderful ruins, theather and temples to the many gods and emperors like Zeus, Athena, Pergamon kings, Emperor Trajan and many more. The ruins are from a wide varity of times including the Byzantine and the Romans etc. I could go on and one and if you go to this area expect to spend at least one full day as we were unable ( due to time ) to visit the middle section and as well as the museum located in the city of Bergama. From there we continued upwards towards Assos.

Didyma, Priene, and Miletus can be easily done in one day..

If you can you should really take a day to visit Pergamon ( Bergama )

I used the Turkey Travel planner web site instead of a guide book and printed out the pages that we wanted to visit..it also gave us the directions and distances for driving..

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/g...sus/index.html

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/g...distances.html
Apr 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. I am planning to stay in Selcuk and return there each night - it seems to be pretty central for the places we want to see. So I would not need to pay the driver's hotel. I wouldn't mind driving myself, but I can't drive a stick shift and I think I'm too late to get an automatic.

Many thanks.
Apr 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM

If you are hiring the car 5 days and more rental companies may find an automatic car and transport it to the location needed. Yes it needs advance booking but not impossible to find one. Also if you hire a van localy you do not need to pay drivers accommodation but meal(s) only.
Happy travelling,
Murat