Drive from Selcuk to Urgup

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the direct flights from Izmir to Cappadocia are not really working with my itinerary.

Rather than staying at the airport, getting up really early, flying from Izmir to Ankara and then driving to Urgup (or taking a flight via Istanbul) I think it would be more fun for us (especially my BF who does not like to fly) to just try to do it in a day and a half - even if it means a long day of driving.

We would be arriving from Athens to Izmir around 2:00 pm on a Monday, renting a car and then driving to Selcuk for the night.

Then we would get up early the next morning to go to Ephesus, get our fill and then drive to Pamukkale. Then the next day, get up EARLY and drive to Urgup.

Couple of questions - are there "must see" sites in Selcuk or will it be enough to check into our hotel, swim a little and maybe walk around town at night a little?
When does Ephesus open and how long would you recommend for Ephesus and surrounding sites? I think the drive to Pamukkale is about 3 hours? I would like to at least take some photos at Pamukkale - should we spend the night there or somewhere a little further East? Then suggested route and length of time to Ugrup the next day - is it really 8 hours?

What are the roads/traffic like on this route?

Thanx!
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 03:36 PM

I had 1.5 days in Selchuk. The first half day (afternoon) I roamed the small town and got the feel of a little local Turkish culture. I also visited the Ephesus museum, briefly visited the ruins of the church of St. John, and walked the 3Km or so distance to near the Ephesus site which I planned to run/jog early the next morning.
The next morning after my run and breakfast, I spent from about 10.00am to 2.00pm at Ephesus, drove to the House of The Virgin Mary, and then later spent a couple of hours at the beach 5Kms away, before heading back to town to look for carpets and eat in a terrific local restaurant. The next day I drove up to Sirince for 2 fantastic days (it's very beautiful there).
Those are about the main sites to see and do in the area.

For my part, I did the (very) early drive down a steep winding hill in the dark from Sirince to Izmir and caught a direct flight to Cappadocia so cannot comment on your plans for that leg of your journey. I loved driving in Turkey and found the roads to be in excellent condition and driving easy and well-posted.

Good luck and have fun.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:04 PM

I think it's more like 10 hours from Pamukkale to Ürgüp.

I would recommend allowing more time and maybe stopping at Eğirdir for the night.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:20 PM

It took us two days to get from Selçuk to Ürgüp, You might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it. I would not count on seeing Ephesus and going to Pamukkale on the same day. The museum in Selçuk is worthwhile. Consider adding a second night to Selçuk.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:35 PM

"<i>I would like to at least take some photos at Pamukkale</i>"

I think Pamukkale is worth more than a quick photo stop. The travertine terraces are stunning and people have bathed in its pools, amid ancient toppled columns, for thousands of years. The ruins of ancient Hieropolis are impressive, especially beautiful at sundown, and worthy of more than a brief, cursory visit.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 05:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I spoke to Sunexpress about flights from Izmir to Kayseri.

They said that the Spring/Summer schedule will be ready at the atest the first half of february and possibly before that.

I would wait for that before commtting to spending so long on the road.

I advise that you should hone down or qualify varius recommendations of previus visitors on the basis of the time available to you. Some have rushed through, others have spent a great deal of time at certain sites, but they all had their own priorities and time limitations, none of which may actually be the same as yours.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Otherchelbi for calling!

Thanx to all for all the recommendation and advice! Very helpful and I will scan the forums for info before making my decision.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:39 AM

<i>It took us two days to get from Selçuk to Ürgüp</i>

correction: three days
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanx to all once again - and thanx Michael for the advice and the trip report. I know my plans are rushed and not at all ideal but the flights just aren't working and the BF would really rather drive than fly all day. We are from the western United States so we are used to long days of driving. This way we can at least spend a few hours in Pamukkale rather than missing it completely.
It would be great if there was an EARLY flight from Athens to Izmir but alas there is not - we could leave the night before, but then it shortens our time in Athens. Sigh - too much too see, not enough vacation!
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Did Otherchelebi charge is usually usurous rates for such services. If you mention my name he will double it.

First, let me say that Turkey turned out to be one of our favorite trips and are trip mimicked not-enuf. We flew from Cappadocia to Anatalya. We drove to Cirali, Pamukkale, Slechuk and finally Cesme.

Mathieu

If you think the road was bad to Sirince, we turned off just before the town to go to a hotel called Nisanyan. Here is an excerpt from our trip report.

You are fortunate that Andrea and I are alive. We are staying at a pricey hotel in Sirince called Nisanyan. We thought we discovered it, then we noticed it was recommended in Frommer’s. The road to the hotel is one of those narrow creatures with hairpin turns, no guard rails, and where one wrong move and you descend thousands of feet into the Turkish countryside. Of course there are also tourist buses with which to contend. Then when we made the final turn towards the hotel on a 90 degree upslope, we found the town has left many holes for new electrical work. Rev up in first and hope for the best. The hotel is well done as the walls resemble ancient Rome through some trompe l’oiel. The receptionist felt sorry for us and gave us some salad even though the kitchen was closed. Not too sorry, tonight will probably be the most expensive meal we will eat in Turkey. I must inquire if you die on the road up, are you still responsible for the cancellation fee.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 11:47 AM

You're right, not-enuf, when you say "too much too see, not enough vacation!" There's so so much to see along that route from Selcuk to Urgup that to really do it justice you ought to take a about week to do it, I reckon - you know, stopping for a couple of nights at a few places along the way.
I'd say just grab the overnight bus from Denizli to Cappadocia and forget the rental car for that route.
Basically, if you just want to go from A to B in Turkey, take a bus or plane, don't drive unless you want great road trip visiting all the sights.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

You are probably right Croesus - but we will have the car already from Izmir and we want to stop at Pammukale and want a car in Cappadocia. So for better or worse, I think we might still go for it
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

If we see Ephesus when we land on Monday afternoon and then drive to Pamukkale in the morning and then on to somewhere else to stay the night (so the drive to Urgup isnt quite so long) can someone recommend "somewhere else" to stay at?
Thank you!
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

nevrmind - I finally decide (as everyone was trying to tell me_ that the drive just inst feasible.
Just going to take a flight to Kayseri via Istanbul instead
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM

I highly recommend visiting the Roman houses while in Ephesus. It'll cost extra and will increase your length of time in Ephesus, but I think it's worth it. You can see the main Ephesus' sites early in the morning and then while the hot sun is high overhead, duck into the Roman houses which are housed under a protective roof.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Time wise..

Going backwards from Ephesus (my trip was leaving Goreme and back to IST along Med), time we spent in different places

Marmaris
Kas x2
Antalya x2
Konya
Goreme

I would have liked another night in Marmaris, Kas was gteat, Antalya I found a bit too developed but good beach.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 09:42 PM

I suppose the alternative to flying would be to take a night bus if you're up for it. For instance it's 12 hours with the Nevşehir Seyahat bus company departing 19:00 from Izmir to Ürgüp, 50TL. Or from Aydın.
http://www.nevsehirlilerseyahat.com.tr/
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

I already bought the tickets on Turkish Airlines!
The flight is only 3.35 hours and we have to change planes in IST - makes me a little nervous as far as luggage goes since it is only a 50 min layover - but that was how TA had the flight so I guess they know what they are doing? ! The flight is refundable so if Sun Express ends up offering a direct flight, we can swap.
I have also decided - based on this forum - on skipping Pamukkale for a day trip and will stick to sights closer to Selcuk instead.
Thanx to all the people who helped me out.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Not enuf

We made a similar trip. You will find that Turkish Air is 30 years behind the times. They offer free foos, plenty of leg room, and are extremely courteous.

Here is an excerpt from my trip report on that trip:

At Turkish airports, you go through security twice, once upon entering the building and then again before boarding.

We need two flights to get from Anatolia to Anatalya. You would think they would different names for everyone’s convenience. They offered a full meal on a short flight-a salad, a piece of almond cake and a turkey sandwich. Only Andrea and I find this ironic.

On the first leg I sit next to old man. He is both nervous and amazed on what appears to be his first flight. I motion to him to put on his seat belt. He opens his palms to indicate he does not have one. I try to get him to stand up since he is sitting on it. He does not understand my charades but is of wonderful humor and laughs. Finally I get him to lift his body and I pull the buckle out and show him how it operates. He pulls it across his waist. I try to tell him he needs another piece but he is quite happy with just the buckle. I summon the flight attendant. It takes a while to convince him that he needs a second piece but finally understands, stands, and retrieves the insert.

They then distribute lunch. He is confused and amused by the various items wrapped in all manner of cellophane. He motions to me to open his water which is a plastic cup with a tinsel top. When I splash it all over myself, he laughs like he is at the circus. He then gives me the wetnap to open. Every time I bend my head to do something for him, this slight man makes the food and drink disappear. When we descend into Istanbul, he becomes excited as a child but since we do not speak the same language, he unfortunately has no one with whom to share the experience.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I actually read your trip report and was humbled by it

In my case, there will be no old man gripped by wonder in the seat next to me - only a youngish man gripping the arm rests and complaining that I keep dragging him on airplanes even though he hates to fly(and has even agreed to an extended balloon flight in Cappadocia!).
Although after a mixture of Adavan and Alcohol - he sometimes forgets how to use the seat belts as well
Did you have to change planes in IST - it is such a short layover it makes me very nervous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -