drive to pompeii

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Pam

drive to pompeii

I promise this is my last question before our family trip!
We will be spending three days in Rome before flying to London. We really want to visit Pompeii. The bus tours are all in the $85 to $90 apiece range. For four of us (two adults and two teenagers) that's expensive. We can rent a car for $109 (inc. taxes,etc.). That way we can check out of our hotel, put luggage in trunk and then drive straight to the airport for our 9 p.m. flight. Note: We are renting a car and driving from Paris to Rome over the course of two weeks. Dropping off car when we get to Rome, because we don't want a car in Rome. So I know it's somewhat ridiculous to rent another car just to drive to Pompeii, but if we just take train, we have to deal with stowing our luggage somewhere, getting to the airport (ciampino, not fiumincino), etc.
Will this work? How is the drive to Pompeii from Rome?(I know, don't drive anywhere near Naples) Is there any place else worth seeing enroute?
Thanks for everyone's help.
Pam

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Marj

The drive from Rome to Pompeii is very easy. All highway once you get out of Rome. You don't drive into Naples. I think it was about 2.5 hours. Pompeii is right off the highway. There are private parking lots available opposite the entrance to the site, usually with a couple of attendants sitting there trying to get your attention. We parked in one next to a restaurant. We grabbed an early lunch at the restaurant before entering pompeii. Later in the afternoon, the restaurant was packed with tours but when we ate (around 11) it was empty. We had no problem at all. If you pick up the car at the termini station, it's pretty easy to get to the highway from there.

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:00 AM
pam

Thank you so much, Marj!
Pam

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:48 AM
mh

The drive is the least of your problems. Once you get there PAY to park your car or it will probably not be there when you get back. Naples has a very high crime rate and they prey on tourists at Pompeii and their cars. We were warned by our Italian guide to not leave anything, absolutely nothing in your car, they will smash the window for any clothes, or anything else that looks like it may have value. BE CAREFUL and fyi Naples is depressing and so is the immediate surrounding area, it is not a very pretty or scenic area to drive thru. And watch your windows at tollbooths the little gypsy or italien kids like to stick their little hands in your window and grab whatever they can. You can read my post about pick pocketing for more information.
MH

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:04 PM
tania

Make sure you get off at the Pompei exit. DO NOT MISS IT. You will drive around in circles if you try to get off the next exit: we did. The signs are terrible.

We parked at the restaurant at the end of the alley on your right as you exit the autostrada. It is directly opposite the entrance road to the ruins. It cost 10,000 lira but since we ended up eating at the restaurant after, it was free.

Tania

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:52 PM
pam

Can't you take a train? I thought i read somewhere that you can take a train to pompeii.

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:13 PM
Joanne

Pam: Yes you can take the train. We took Eurostar to Naples and then transferred to the Circumvesuviana train, which runs from Naples to Sorrento. I believe there is luggage storage at Pompeii, but I'm not positive about that, or how safe it is. If you do train, get off at Pompeii Scavi. Pompeii is the town not the ruins.

Steve James seems to be the resident expert on Italian rail. Perhaps he will see this and give you times, etc.

j