Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pizzeria ideas -- between Pompeii and Naples!

Jul 9th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

A group of us will be finishing a visit to Pompeii about lunch time on a Monday next April. We are driving to Naples and will visit National Archaeologicla Museum. Staying Hotel Excelsior. Not important but leaving early next morning for journey back to Texas.

QUESTION does anybody know of a great Pizza place - nice if was on the water - between Pompeii and Naples? Have spent hours on TripAdvisor and Chow Hound but not coming up with anything. Certainly don't want to drive much in Naples so would like for this 'great pizzeria' to be on the road - again - between Pompeii and Naples.

Thanks!
Jul 9th, 2015, 01:04 PM

maybe here? It's in Torre del Greco

http://www.lucianopignataro.it/a/piz...l-greco/79283/
Jul 9th, 2015, 02:20 PM

The pizza at the Autogrill cafe inside Pompeii is surprisingly good (I say surprisingly because its a captive audience so could be dreadful).
The towns between Pompeii and Naples are a frustrating labyrinth of streets and satellite suburbs of Naples, with no parking and the potential for your rental car to get scratched up. I know the area well and the only place I can think of to send you is in the opposite direction from Pompeii at Vico Equense.
There is a good pizza place in the Pompei township - if you leave the archaeological site via the amphitheatre exit, it is a short walk away.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restau...a.html#REVIEWS
Jul 12th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

sandralist and blueeyedcod

This is what I was hoping to hear. The lucianopignataro looks beautiful.

BLUEEYEDCOD question - how many minute walk is the Pizzeria Margherita? Less than 20 minutes?

Thanks again -- Philip
Jul 12th, 2015, 03:10 PM

Just so you are clear -- the name of the pizzeria is Palazzo Vialdo (the blog is Luciano Pignataro). I think it stays open continuously

If you prefer to stay in Pompei, you could also check out Zi Caterina, very close to the Scavi. Check hours for pizza availability. I think they have a website.
Jul 13th, 2015, 03:26 PM

If you are willing to go out of your way a bit, I can heartily recommend a great pizza place in Vico Equense. I can't tell you how to get there, but the place is directly across the street from the railway station. The pizza is unique because it is really a cross between a focaccia and a pizza. You can choose the toppings, I have had all of them, and they are all good, but I like the traditional tomato and mozzarella. The name of the place is either Ernie's or Ernesto's, I forget which. The first time I was there (some time ago), the owner heard me speaking English to my wife, and he immediately came over to us because he recognized my New York accent. It turned out that he originally came to Vico from Ft. Lee, New Jersey, the other end of the Washington bridge. The pizzeria is a neighborhood place, so you won't see many tourists there, which give credence to its quality. Another great feature is that if you dine in the rear garden, you will see a fantastic view of Naples and Vesuvius from the OTHER side, not the one which is seen in all the photos of the Bay of Naples.
Jul 13th, 2015, 11:21 PM

It's about a 20 minute walk - but only from the amphitheatre exit.

If you rent audio guides you must drop them back at the Porta Marina ticket office which will make the walk to that pizza place a whole lot longer.