COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotels... how commited once you make a reservation?

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:44 PM
jeanne

I've made a reservation for 16 nights in Paris in late October. If I get there and do not like the room they give me, can I leave after a night or two and feel secure that they will not charge me for more? (assumes I find another hotel BEFORE I check out).

Also, I'm thinking I may take a few nights and stay outside the City. At what point would it be proper to notify the hotel which nights I will be gone?....Now? Two weeks before I go? Upon arrival?

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:55 PM
StCirq

Jeanne: First of all, if you are spending 16 nights at a hotel, have you considered renting an apartment instead? It could be far less expensive and more accommodating.
Second, I would never presume to leave after a night or two after confirming a hotel for 16 nights. I would certainly ask to be moved to another room if I were really unhappy, but to break short what essentially amounts to a contract for 16 nights after 1 or 2 nights would be more than I would feel comfortable doing unless the place was truly horrible.
If you think you want to rearrange your plans, I would let the hotel know right away. Obviously, they need to fill the room if you're not going to use it. This just strikes me as basic business sense. I can't speak for any hotel's particular policy regarding canceling a lot of nights worth of rooms at the last minute, but as a business owner, I sure would not want someone like that as a customer and I'd try to get some monetary recompense for the inevitable loss I'd take as a result.

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:15 PM
Wayne

If you get there and really don't like the room they give you, AND you have a good reason not to like it (too small and you asked for a large room, something doesn't work and they don't fix it, too noisy and you asked for a quiet room, no view and you asked for a view, etc.) then you could certainly tell them you will be leaving early. But if you simply don't like the room on arrival, for any specific reason, the first thing you should do is ask to see another room. And if you are that suspicious of the quality of the hotel or its rooms, maybe you ought to look for another place. I know that I would not want to enter a hotel where I had made a reservation, with a negative attitude suspecting I wouldn't like it. And if you know now (and you should certainly be able to decide soon) that you want to spend some time in another area and then return to the original hotel, you should inform the hotel right away so that they can make plans to assign the room to others. As StCirq said, it's not good business sense to do otherwise.

If you do arrive in the hotel, and if you have very good reasons not to like whatever room or rooms you might be given, then you would be justified in cutting short your visit. But simply leaving because you changed your mind at the last minute isn't a good reason.

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:09 PM
jeanne

Gee, I just re-read my post and it sure didn't come out like I meant it to.

All I'm concerned about is that they will give me their "singles" room...aka "broom closet"...just because I'm travelling alone. I reserved a "double room" but haven't received their confirmation yet to see if they specifity that. I will insist that the "double" be specified in my confirmation.

As to the days out of the City, I will decide forthwith and inform them of my plans. Thanks for straightening me out on that point.

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:18 PM
jeanne

St. Cirq,
Yes, I considered an apartment, but this is my first time to Paris. I felt it would be good to have hotel personnel and other patrons to help me out if needed. I am definitely open to apartment on my next stay.

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:08 PM
Holly

If the size of the room is what's important to you, then you should not only confirm that you're getting a double, you should ask for the dimensions of the room (they'll probably just give you the square meterage or whatever it is). Then you can go to a metric site and look it up to get an idea of the size. I stayed in a room in Florence recently that had 2 beds - considered a double - and it was smaller than most singles I've stayed in.

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:16 PM
mimi taylor

jeanne, this has nothing to do with you have a great time! (the following)
I just want to comment that Americans are notorious for cancelling their reservations,,gives us a bad name. I have heard this from so many hotels and chambre d'hotes.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 12:34 AM
Doug Weller

As a whole I think rooms are smaller in European hotels than in American.

Doug