Search

Drive time - Berchtesgaden over Grossglockner Alpine - Innsbruck

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive time - Berchtesgaden over Grossglockner Alpine - Innsbruck

Hello all:

On our upcoming trip to Germany and Austria, we will be relocating from our pension in Bischofswiesen, Germany, which is near Berchtesgaden. We desire to drive over the Grossglockner Alpine Highway in Austria, and then continue on to Innsbruck or close to Innsbruck.

The local pension owner told me that it is about a two hour drive from Bischofswiesen to the Alpine Highway. I then read somewhere that it takes about 40 minutes to cover that highway; however, I suspect we will take a lot longer stopping for photos and a few breaks. It is really hard to pinpoint the actual entrances and exist to the Alpine highway on mapquest.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to exist the Alpine highway and make it over to Innsbruck please? If we don't stay in Innsbruck, is there a recommended town close by that would allow easy access to Innsbruck? Also, if anyone has traveled this path in one day, can you provide me with a realistic timeframe, start to finish please?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 09:05 PM

I would calculate 2 hours for the pass road. That's what it took me - with stops at Edelweissspitze and Franz-Josephs-Höhe, no picnic or meal in a restaurant.

It is beyond me why you would want to go to Innsbruck afterward - totally out of the way. You must backtrack then. Either the whole pass road back or through Felbertauern tunnel, or through Italy. Takes 3 hours minimum from my experience.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 09:18 PM

I second what Ingo said. The road from Berchtesgaden (or Salzburg) to Innsbruck does not pass through Grossglockner highway. You leave in a completely different direction and once you have done it you are more distant from Innsbruck than where you were at the beginning.
The road goes from Fusch to Heiligenblut.

http://www.grossglockner.at/en/
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 11:12 PM

Building on the above responses. 2 hours to get to the northern gate of the park. Then 3 to 4 hours to the south gate at Heiligenblut, including stops and a lunch break. Then 3-1/2 hours northwest to Innsbruck. Each of the 3 routes listed by Ingo are about the same driving time. I recommend staying in Hall in Tirol instead of Innsbruck.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

We are taking my parents on the trip and they think, right now anyway, that they want to see Innsbruck, but my dad does want to see the Grossglockner. The next day, we would make our way back to Munich for our final two nights before flying home.

Thank you for the feedback guys. Definitely just in the planning stages for that part of the trip.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Here is how I would go( and have gone many times) : From Berchtesgaden on the B-305 (Deutsche Alpenstrasse) to Schneizlreuth and on to Lofer; Lofer on the Austrian Bundstrasse 311 south to Saalfelden, Zell am See, and a short distance east (4km) to Bruck. That is the start of the Grossglocknerstrasse. It usually take me about 2 hours driving time to get there. To time the the Grossglocknerstrasse is difficult. It is a very popular route for slow movimg tourist buses, and if you get behind one, it may well take you a while to pass it.

At the peak of the pass you have the choice:Return to Bruck the way you came, and then head west on the B-168 to Mittersill and from there on the very scenic B-165 to Zell am Ziller, and the nice Zillertal (Ziller Valley). Go north along that valley to Jenbach and pick up the Autobahn A-12 to Innsbruck.

The alternative is to continue on the Grossglocknerstrasse B-107 to Lienz, and from there take the B-108 to Mittersill. It probably is faster than going back to Bruck, and it is a nice drive.

If from Innsbruck you pan to drive to the Munich airport, here is my suggestion.

Innsbruck on the A-12 to Zirl, north on the Austrian 177/German B-23 to Garmisch Partenkirchen. Continue on the B-23 to the Autobahn A-95 to the Munich by-pass A-99. It takes you (counterclockwise) around Munich to the A-9 northbound, which takes you to Airport turnoff.

If you have a full day for this Innsbruck - Munich trip, you can detour via Fuessen- Neuschwanstein castle or Linderhof Palace.

NOTE: If you use the Austrian Autobahns (any autobahn),you have to get yourself a toll Vignette BEFORE you get on the autobahn. It's available at any German gas station in Berchtesgaden, or any gas station in Austria. Costs something like EUR8.50 for 10 days.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 02:52 PM

I forgot to give you the mileage and est. time (with "clear sailing" on Grossglocknerstrasse) 5hrs.

PS: Bruck - Franz Joseph Huette (peak) - Bruck - Mittersill Innsbruck = 263km 4 1/2 hrs.

Bruck - Franz Joseph Huette - Heiligenblut - Lienz - Mittersill - Innsbruck 262km

Both routes go via Zillertal.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Treplow.

Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful answers. I appreciate your time as well as that of the rest of you guys.