Search

Drive from Villach to Innsbruck

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive from Villach to Innsbruck

Hello,
I am going to ski holiday to St. Anton am Arlberg. I Will come from Villach (or Karawanke) and not sure what to do next:

1) Should I continue to Salsburg and then towards Munchen then exit for Innsburck and so on...

or

2) Should I exit motorway and go towards Lienz and then Brunico and then enter A22 towards Innsbruck...

I know that 1) is all on motorway but I have to go all around and maybe to find huge block up between Salsburg and Innsbruck (once I experience it), and with 2) I will have little shorter trip (in km) but I am not sure what kind of road is this B100 (or B111->B100 at Silan).

I drive 4x4 so I can handle snow but also whole family is with me so I am not looking for some off road experience. I only once drove thru Austria outside motorway and that was from Karawanke to Hermagor (B111) and it was OK so if rest is like it then it is not problem.

Please help because I am not sure what to do.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 08:16 AM

B100 is even a bit wider than B111 so if you felt comfortable driving B111 you should have no worries. A little detour when in South Tyrol where B100 becomes SS49 could be to scenic Tre Croce mountains in the Dolomites near Cortina.
But later that route takes you to the pretty busy Brenner pass motorway.
An alternative could be less crowded Felbertauern tunnel road / B108 from Lienz to the North.
4x4 is not really necessary, winter tires obviously are a must.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 08:24 AM

The itinerary via Lienz - Sillian - Toblach - Franzensfeste is much more scenic and the weather there is rather better (usually warmer and drier) than on the Northern side of the Alps.

The road is slower, of course, although it circumnavigates many villages, but certainly better than the Nassfeld road to Hermagor.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Tnx for your answers

I once drove route Karawanke - Salzburg - Innsbruck and had really bad time on A22 (I think). I think that it took me 2-3 hours from exit Salburg-munchen autobahn and entering A22 to get to Innsbruck.

ViaMichelin gives me informations that this B100 vs autobahn, B100 is shorter for some 80km, and if I would like to get to my destination as fast as possible, what would be better to choose in that case. I like scenic roads but my total trip is around 1000km in one day so I would more likely choose compromise between fastest shortest and more comfortable trip.

Is high traffic characteristic for A22 towards Innsbruck from both sides (Salsburg side and Brennero side). If I can expect again to drive 1km/h for 3 hours that would for sure be one more reason to go via B100.

Also in general, what would you choose if you are in my place and if we don't seek for scenic routs as primary reason to go that way.

P.S.
I would be traveling on saturday if that is important for estimate traffic on road
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 03:02 PM

Saturday often is a busy or very busy day during the season as many vacation rentals typically have their "change day" (as they often only rent by the week during peak season) on Saturdays.
Not sure, though, what you mean by A22 motorway. I *think" you mean A12 which runs from Kufstein (border Germany/Austria) to Innsbruck and further West to Arlberg and Bregenz.
That motorway (as any leg on the motorway-only route) via A10 from Villach to Salzburg, A8 towards Munich, and A12 towards Innsbruck can get heaviliest crowded during the ski season, especially when Bavaria is on ski break (school break) in either direction. It's always good to avoid when you can.
The B roads should be less stressful, no matter if you go via B100/SS49 or via B100/B108.
Either way you will pay extra tolls for either the Brenner pass route into Innsbruck (A15) or the Felbertauern tunnel on B108. But probably less than what you had to pay to go via Salzburg and the Tauern tunnel on A10.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Yes you are right about this "A12", I meant form austria/germany border to Innsbruck. So from all inputs it is high likely that there will be high traffic so I am more likely to choose this B100. For now I like the most B100 to Brunick and then continue towards Innsbruck via Brenero.

Just one thing I am not sure, is that part of autobahn prone to high traffic too? Because if it is maybe in the end I could loose more time than by going via Salsburg.
I know that this sounds as I am complicating too much but I try to take all inputs before I decide what to do.

What is speed limit on B100?
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 01:46 PM

The Brenner pass autobahn is also prone to high traffic as it is one of the major arteries connecting Northern Europe and Southern Europe/Italy. BUt the leg is much shorter than the other alternative via Salzburg and Bavaria. THe least traffic will probably be on the route via the Felbertauern tunnel - which is not so widely known, and not attractive for trucks.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 07:41 AM

"The Brenner pass autobahn is also prone to high traffic as it is one of the major arteries connecting Northern Europe and Southern Europe/Italy. BUt the leg is much shorter than the other alternative via Salzburg and Bavaria"

Of course.

But you will have to take this autobahn anyway, either from Franzensfeste/Fortezza to Innsbruck or from Rosenheim to Innsbruck (unless you prefer to take strade statali/Bundesstrassen with mixed traffic and transit through some village centers).
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Not necessarily.

OP's option #1 from Villach to Innsbruck on motorways only via Salzburg, Rosenheim, Kufstein (A10/A8/A93/A12) has the highest risk of traffic jams. Just because each and every of these motorways is very crowded.

Option #2 - Villach to Franzensfeste via Toblach leaves OP with the (now considerably shorter) leg of a crowded autobahn over the Brenner pass.

Option #3 - Villach - Lienz - Felbertauern - and a short leg on A12 to Innsbruck. But not via the Brenner pass - which is (at least in theory) more prone to traffic jams than the short leg on A12.