Drive from Venice to Florence to Rome

Apr 10th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Drive from Venice to Florence to Rome

I am driving with my wife and 21 year old daughter from Venice to Florence on April 25 and we are looking for suggestions for interesting stops along the way. It is our first visit.
We will be in Florence for 3 nights and then are planning to drive to Rome to drop the car off (with a stop in Siena on the trip to Rome.We would also welcome any ideas anyone has for a day trip (perhaps a nearby winery) not too far from Florence
Apr 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Just an idea, but...we just returned from our first trip to Italy. Stayed in Rome, Venice, Florence & a week in Tuscany. After much research, I opted to take the train from Venice to Florence, and pick up the car there. The train station is right in Venice (toward the top of the Grand Canal), so you don't have to mess with getting to the mainland (because you can't drive in Venice), then getting a car, then driving to Florence. It seemed most of the appealing sites were more toward Florence anyway. The train arrives in the center of Florence's historic district, and you REALLY don't want or need a car in Florence. I'd strongly consider picking the car up when you're done in Florence to minimize hassle. The train system is easy and affordable. Feel free to e-mail me direct if you want more info. [email protected]
Apr 10th, 2005, 08:03 PM

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you have just three nights in total between Venice and Rome?

Apr 11th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

We are staying 5 nights in Venice, 3 nights in Florence and 3 nights in Rome We are thinking of picking up a car when we leave Venice, keeping it in Florence and then dropping it off in Rome. I was looking for ideas on stops in between Venice and Florence. Although we don't have much time in Florence, I was also wondering if there are any worthwhile things to see/do a short drive from Florence.
Apr 11th, 2005, 07:24 AM

San Gimingnano. There's a parking lot right outside the walls of the town. It's easy to get to by following the exit signs off the highway.
Apr 11th, 2005, 08:03 AM
ira

Hi cw,

You might want to take a day to visit Bologna.

Apr 11th, 2005, 10:38 AM

There are a few stops that were on my list when driving between Venice and Florence, but we did not have the time. So I will pass this info on to you.

* Vicenza, home of the great architect Palladio. The old center looks beautiful. The Teatro Olimpico is supposed to be amazing.

* Verona--The Roman Arena is a magnificent colosseum worth a visit. Of course, there is also Juliet's Balcony.

* Padova--Giotto's Scrovegni Chapel looks amazing. Definitely on my list for our next trip.

You definitely won't want to use your car in Florence. But should you decide to take a ride, I would suggest the Chiantigiana (S222).

You might also want to consider just checking out of Florence a day earlier and spending the day and night en route to Rome somewhere in Tuscany so as to avoid backtracking to Florence just to sleep. Too bad you don't have just one more day. It would give you just a little more time to see a bit more of Tuscany. But we did this once with just one day. We left Florence early taking S222 south. It is a lovely road and meanders the Tuscan countryside. We then stayed in Siena for the night at Palazzo Ravizza which is inside the gates and has parking. Even with one day, we loved it!

If you are interested in a winery tour, I would suggeste Castello de Verrazzano in Greve. We took the tour and stayed for lunch, enjoying every minute--actually a highlight of our time in Tuscany.

So much to see and so little time is always a vacation dilemma.