Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

drive from malaga to granada- is it scenic?

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on driving from Malaga to Granada. Was thinking of doing the drive at night so as not to waste my limited daytime hours, but would switch my plans to drive in the morning if the drive is particularly scenic. Is it worth it?
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:55 AM

The drive ins't particularly scenic. Some hills, lots of olive trees (naturally).
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
It depends. You have 2 possible routes. Malaga north to A92 to Granada is nice but nothing special. The other route (on the coast) is busier & nicer. Malaga to Maro is multi-lane highway and then multi-lane slower road to Salobrena. Mountains to the left, sea to the right. The first 50 miles after you turn north at Salobrena is beautiful as you wind through mountains.

Ian
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM

My bus ride from Granada to Benalmedina (stopping in Malaga) was quite scenic. There were some very elevated sections of roadway that passed mountains on one side and a deep valley on the other. It was quite nice.
Madrid to Sevilla? Now there's a non-scenic ride.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:34 PM

I've done this trip a few times. I for one, wouldn't want to do it at night. But that might just be me due to DH's driving, which makes me nervous even in the day (to say the least). But that's just me. It's a pretty drive, not gorgeous, and the roads were pretty good and not as steep as some were on the way to Ronda etc. Also, if I recall correctly, the drive was only a little over an hour (or again, maybe that's just DH's driving again.)
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
artlover

You must have been enchanted with the scenery or DH's breakneck speed . . . I think I remember it as just under 2 hours from Nerja, so add a 1/2 hr for Malaga.

Ian