driving from Malaga to Alhambra

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to know if it is realistic to drive between Malaga and Alhambra for a day trip? We will be renting a car.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...marbella.cfm?4

I think this will help. Marbella is not that far from Malaga so similar thoughts would apply. (do get your Alhambra tickets in advance!)

kanadajin
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you consult www.viamichelin.com, you will find that they suggest that it will take 1 hr 35 minutes from Malaga to Granada, though you may need to add a bit on to get to the Alhambra. yo can park in the huge car park just by the Alhambra.

this is taking the route that goes north our of Malaga and then turns east.

coming back, you might like to take the alternative route that goes south through the mountains and then west along the coast where there are a number of nice beach restaurants, before you get back to Malaga.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

What quick and useful responses! I really appreciate the suggestions. I welcome any additional suggestions for dining in Malaga and in Granada. We will be in Malaga for a week in which time we hope to drive through the region. We also plan on a day trip to Morocco. Any ideas?
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM

spatwa - have you done a search of this forum? there are some good threads about Malaga.

alternatively start a new thread with Malaga in the title; a long-term fodorite [screen-name Josele] lives in Malaga and if you're lucky, he will chime in.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Search tripadvisor for best restaurants in Malaga. Skip the Morroco idea you will have a lot more fun in Spain.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Feel free to add in more -
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 11:54 PM

Egbert is right about Morocco. The trip to Tangier is disappointing. It's nothing like the rest of the country and it's dirty and down at heel. All in all, it's a miss. there are far more places to see on the Costa del Sol, both East and West, that will keep you entertained for a week.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Yes, we did the the day trip to Granada from Malaga last year. The drive took a couple of hours. Just make sure you allow plenty of time to get to the Alhambra for your alloted time slot (factoring in parking, walking to the palaces, etc.).

I actually started a trip report and included our Alhambra visit in it, though to my shame I never finished writing it. You'll find the post in question here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-6556542
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM

spatwa, I wont skip your request on Malaga dining; just that now there are so many places...I cannot keep updated.
In the city center you cannot fail at El Pimpi in Calle Granadas. Very near, on the corner with calle San Agustin, La Tapería Delicatessen, for wine and baguette-style and many other things. La Cosecha (calle Echegaray), Rúcula (calle Carretería), Asako (japanese - fusion, interesting, a bit pricey), Bodega Quitapenas, La Campana, Las garrafas...Any place you see with many locals. All these are places I visit regularly.
The problem with Tripadvisor is that I can no longer go to el Tapeo de Cervantes, as is always packed...with tourists. Same with Vinomio, though you can try.
For Malaga seafood, my only rec will only be El Caleño (Playas de Pedregalejo, 952291461), during the summer, open lunch and dinner except Mondays (you can say I'm sending you).
El Parador has a nice and good restaurant, on the terrace in the evenings, overlooking the city.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM

Typo: it is calle Granada
Asako is in Calle Alamos.
If you get a map and pinpoint the places, you'll see they are in the same area.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 02:13 PM

Hi josele - i was hoping you would chime in - thanks!