Dress in Budapest & Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Husband & I will be traveling to Budapest & Prague in February. We have heard it will be cold. What is acceptable dress? Can we wear jeans & our hiking boots or will we stick out in the crowd? We have traveled in other parts of Europe and normally try not to do the jean thing.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:09 AM

no, you won't stick out in the crowd wearing jeans and boots in Prague in Feb (or ever) -- unless you plan to wear that to the opera or something. I don't think hiking boots are usually the best choice for regular walking around, though.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I would not recommend that your husband, while in Budapest or Prague, wear a dress. He should do that in the privacy of your home only (or in specific sections of certain cities only, where he is not likely to even be noticed).

As far as jeans, if I have convinced him to not wear dresses, I am against jeans when traveling to Europe. No no, I am not saying that because you will look like a tourist, which a lot of people say. Actually, wearing jeans in that regard won't matter at all. I am against it because....

...jeans are so bulky and take up a lot of room in the luggage, and they dry so slowly. Instead, I suggest wrinkle free, quick drying clothing. For him, things such as Dockers, and any number of others.

--Marv
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:34 AM

You'll see a LOT of denim, especially on younger folks (and I am talking about the Europeans) as well as every conceivable type, color, and style of athletic shoe in both cities.

You will "stick out" in any European crowd unless you are dressed exactly as they are and have the same sort of overall facial looks and complexions... worry about whether or not you'll have enough time to see everything there is to see because they will all know you don't live there.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:30 PM

We were in Budapest between Christmas and new year and so glad we went in our light weight hiking boots. Our feet were warm and comfortable and we walked for miles. You'll see tourists dressed in just about anything and it's not a problem. I felt sorry for people tottering over cobbles in high heels - I'd rather be comfortable than fashionable!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:22 PM

As long as we're on the subject - what is appropriate for visiting either the opera, or perhaps a concert in one of the churches either in Prague or Budapest. Because my son and I will be there in January, I'm thinking warm - are dress slacks appropriate (for a woman, with a nice sweater). I just don't want to be one of those tourist tripping over the cobblestones in heels, and I certainly don't want my legs to be frostbitten (I'm from So. California so not used to cold weather or snow or...any type of actual "weather", to be honest!)
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:57 PM

A glance at Budapest shops quickly shows how ghastly their clothes generally are, though there are some very high-end clothing stores -- I am not sure who can afford them.

I have not attended an opera in Budapest though I have seen a well-dressed crowd eddying away from the opera after a performance.

One website advised that people DO dress up, rather, for the opera.

That means jackets and ties for men (not evening clothes) -- and dresses not trousers for women.

Bottom line: There is no dress code and comparative poverty is still the ruling factor. But if you want to go to nice places, you may feel out of place if ill-dressed, just as you would at home.

BTW: Jeans can go anywhere but have you no comfortable, practical alternative to hiking boots?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Hi,

Jeans are not warm in cold weather. As a matter of fact they can be cold if they get wet with the snow. You need some wool slacks and warm boots. Cashmere sweaters are great, warm and not bulky. Don't forget the scarf and warm gloves. We were there in Jan of 2000 and it was cool for me, but cold for someone from southern cal. If you have a fur coat, wear that. It covers up whatever is underneath and looks great at the opera. HAve fun.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Well, I don't think I'm going to pack my fur coat all the way to Europe just in case I might decide to go to the opera...J/K - I've never needed a fur here in So. California! And wool is just as unnecessary and hard to find around here, so I'm opting for colored jeans (black and dark blue, not denim), and long underwear, plus a great jacket and all the warm accessories. Now if I can just figure out what to pack for the opera or concerts...
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:55 PM

I think that people do dress up for the opera but as for concerts in churches, they can be very cold, so I would recommend dressing warmly. Some of the church concert posters boasted "heating" but portable heaters often don't have much impact in a huge draughty church.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:08 AM

European Opera Houses. Dress is ecletic. Wear what is comfortable. Outerwear is usually checked. Premiers may suggest more formal wear. I have seen everything from tanktops to tails!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:12 AM

Addendum: If you choose jeans; remember they are cotton. Bring long underwear. Wool slacks may be a better choice if you want to be comfortable.