Dress for Lisbon?

Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Dress for Lisbon?

Hi-- I have to go to Lisbon in 2 weeks, and was wondering what type of clothes I should bring for dinner, etc. I see its in the low 60's approximately. Should I wear 'spring' clothes? I live in NJ, so we're in winter--sweaters etc,. Should I bring say wool slacks, or more capri type? Sandals, or boots? I hate 'transition' weather, and I'm even more confused when its a foreign country.

Thanks, all!
Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:40 AM

We were in Portugal in March a few years ago. We are from the Upper Midwest so I found the temperatures in Lisbon in the 60's to be downright balmy and spring-like. I seemed to be one of the few people in short sleeves and carrying my jacket rather than wearing it. Locals did not seem to be wearing spring clothing.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:15 PM

It can be very chilly and rainy in Lisbon in March, so be prepared. Lisboteas also dress very conservatively on the streets. You will only see people in skimpy/revealing clothes at at a disco. Dark colors would be best. Capris would be a mistake unless you were at your house in Cascais.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Glad I asked--I was thinking more the capris and sandals, since its spring; but I guess I'll go more with the nice black pants, boots, etc.
Feb 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the tips. I am traveling to Lisbon from March 11 to 23 and was wondering what to pack. Is there any reason to pack a bathing suit (I plan to go to Lagos and the coast for a few days)? Thanks.