Amboise area hotels question

Nov 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Amboise area hotels question

We stayed in Les Minimes in 2005 and loved it. I was tentatively planning to stay there again, but saw where a poster a couple years ago mentioned Le Clos d' Amboise. It looks similar, but a bit smaller and less expensive.

Has anyone stayed there recently?

Is the hotel that's 30 minutes or so away in Onzain even more expensive than Les Minimes? Any comments on the choices between the three? I would be planning two nights. I've already gone to Chenonceau and Chambord, but there are other things in the area I would like to see.
Nov 21st, 2006, 10:21 AM

Hi Hoping,

I can't comment on the hotels you mention, but I can recommend the chateau I stayed in a few years ago. Chauteau di Chissay, very near Chennonceau. I loved it! They have a highly rated (and expensive) restaurant for dinner and breakfasts delivered to your room. It was fabulous staying in a real chateau, this one has lots of history too.
Nov 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM

We also enjoyed our stay at Les Minimes but I am wondering if LeChoiseul which occupies the other half of that convent area right next door is cheaper.
Nov 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM

What about Le Cheval Blance in nearby Blere? We stayed at Les Minimes last year but after a fantastic meal at Le Cheval Blance, we thought that if their hotel service is anything like the quality of the food... Wow. Admittedly Blere is a small town but quite interesting and close to everything. The prices are very reasonable.
http://www.lechevalblancblere.com/
Nov 21st, 2006, 10:59 AM

Of course it is Le Cheval BLANC... my fingers just want to put an "e" on the end of that.
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Well, let's see. First, I came home from work and opened the mail. There in the Discover Europe flyer was Le Manoir Les Minimes--they are touring there in April. There was a really nostalgic picture. Could this be an omen?

My thoughts on Le Clos (I could taunt my husband with the swimming pool).

Dayle--since we've been to Chenonceau I probably wouldn't venture that direction. However, someone may pull this up in the search key and quiz you.

robjane--I am looking this town up on the map, and saved your link to favorites in case.

Dukey, I had forgotten about Le Choiseul. I think when I researched my 2005 trip it showed up. It's also in my little purloined booklet. If nothing else, I could stay at one place, then eat at Le Choiseul and Voila, do a report!
Nov 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM

I have stayed twice in Onzain at the Chateau des tertres. I thought it was very nice, great location. Ot as expensive as the fancy place in Onzain.

www.Chateau-tertres.com
Nov 21st, 2006, 09:09 PM

We stayed in Les Minimes this September 2006
and thought it was quite reasonable for such a lovely hotel. We checked out Le Clos and LeChoiseul and still felt that Les Minimes was the best value. We loved this hotel, the city and most of all the people of Amboise. We hope to return.
Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:20 AM

i meant Not as expensive
Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Bigtyke--thanks, I just added another to my list. The grounds look lovely. Did you spend your evening in Amboise or in Onzain?

jrecem--I did get to remembering this morning the wonderful shower (and amenities) at Les Minimes. It seems that in so many hotels the nicer rooms only have a bathtub.
Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:59 AM

We stayed at Le Clos d'Amboise in May 2005, and thought it was just great. Except for a river view, I can't imagine that Les Minimes would be better -- and Le Clos was quite a bit cheaper. Our room was large and beautifully furnished, and the gardens were lovely. The photos on their web site:
http://www.leclosamboise.com
give a very accurate representation. You can also get Internet access in your room for 5 euro per day.

We did not eat breakfast there, since it was extra, and we decided it was more fun (and cheaper!) to sample patisseries in town.
Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:39 AM

Being first-time drivers in France, we appreciated that we could drive directly into Minime's courtyard from the D-road without having to navigate any of the tiny Amboisian streets. Piece of gateau.
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Nonnafelice, thanks for replying. It may have been your post I saw. I have to admit that seeing the bridge over the river lit up at night from our third floor room and also, being able to walk over to and back from Le Shaker were bonuses. However, I thought my husband might like the swimming pool. Did you try it?
Nov 24th, 2006, 03:32 PM

We were at Le Clos d'Amboise in early May, and it was too cool for us to think about swimming. However, there was a young couple there (possibly honeymooners?) who did go for a dip and seemed to enjoy it. The pool is beautiful, and if you are there in warm weather would be a definite plus.

Although the hotel doesn't front on the river, the courtyard is lovely, and the street is quiet -- probably more so than the street along the river from Les Minimes. You can walk to pretty much anywhere in Amboise easily from the hotel. If you can get there on a weekend when they have a "brocante" (antiques fair) that is a big plus, as it was a highlight of our visit. I have a trip report here:
http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=653
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:43 AM

i always spent the evening in Onzain. Just had dinner. Once with a tour group, we ate a fancy one star restaurant in a neighboring town (can't remember which). Another time we ate at the restaurant near the bridge. IT was a good one, but it was a typical french restauant where it didn't open until 7:30 and then took 2 1/2 hours to eat. Then we discovered a little restaurant in Chaumont (Chez Collette) and ate there the remaining 6 days we stayed in Onzain. They even stayed open on their early close night just for our dinner. We were bicycling and didn't have a car.
Nov 30th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

I'm printing out some of these suggestions. Thanks all.
Nov 30th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Should you end up back at Les Minimes (I loved it) ask if the bath amenities are now available for sale, please? They were wonderful!
Nov 30th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Does Eric still own/manage Les Minimes? He is such a gentleman!
Nov 30th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Yes, and if you do end up there pet the dog and consider staying in Room #11.
Dec 1st, 2006, 12:32 AM

We stayed at Le Choiseul just a few years ago. The room was charming and the restaurant was excellent along with the view of the river.

We also happened upon a wonderful little restaurant across from the entrance to the castle (and down a little alley). I'll have to see if I can find the name in my file. I'd love to back again.

Search this Thread