dresden hotel needed

Search

dresden hotel needed

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dresden hotel needed

who has had a good experience with a centrally located hotel in dresden...will not have car and want to be near the major sites, i.e. palaces, etc....desire a 3 or 4 star hotel or other in the +/- 80-100 euro area.......thank you
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:16 AM

While in Dresden I have stayed at both the Hilton (adjacent to the Frauenkirche) and the Taschenberg Palais (right on Palace square). Both of these may be above your price range, but if you really want to splurge, I would definitely recommend the Taschenberg. Hopefully Ingo, the resident expert on Dresden, will pick up on your post and give you some expert advice. You will love Dresden!
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:38 AM

Thanks Charlie that you brought this post back to the top.

Yes, both Taschenbergpalais and Hilton are beyond your price range, I am afraid. Here is my recommendation: Hotel Marthahaus, a very charming three star hotel in the Baroque quarter (Neustadt), only five minutes from the railway station Dresden-Neustadt (ICE trains stop there as well), and only ten minutes walk to the major sights.

http://marthahospiz.dresden.vch.de/_loader.php (English version available)

The double is slightly more than 100 Euro, but it is definitely worth the money. The single room is about 80 Euro.

By the way, a car is definitely NOT necessary in Dresden - public transport by tram/bus is very sufficient! So you might consider to stay somewhere in longer distance to the city centre (lower prices!). Pension Am Grossen Garten has double rooms for 50-70 Euro and is connected by tram with the city centre (15 minutes, each 10 minutes). www.pension-am-grossen-garten.de

Welcome to Dresden! And feel free to post more questions.

Ingo
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

thanks ingo---i will check those out..
what is your opinion of the Art'otel in dresden and the Am Blauen Wunder hotels?? i have looked at both of these as well....also what about the Westin--good location, good hotel (i know its american....)??

while you are wrinting would you alos give me some names of moderate priced restaurants in and around the city center....thank you very much------
bob
Old May 25th, 2003, 03:47 AM

Hi,
who knows, perhaps via Hotel Reservation Service (www.hrs.de) you will get one of the hotels for quite a bit less?
Old May 25th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Hello Bob,

All the hotels you mentioned are good.

The "Am Blauen Wunder" is located in a nice residential quarter, near the Blue Wonder bridge, trams and buses a minute away. To the city centre about 15 minutes by tram No. 12, 20 minutes by tram No. 6 from railway station D-Neustadt.

Art'otel is a very good hotel, as the name indicates full of (modern) art, esp. works of A.R. Penck. The ground floor was devastated by the flood, but it is well restored. For my taste a little too "cool" ambience, if you know what I mean ... In addition, it can be noisy if you have a room to the street where the tram runs (front side). On the other hand, it is only a five minutes walk away from the Zwinger palace - perfect location.

The Westin Bellevue - if you can get a good rate, it is a good choice. Be careful, though, which room you book. The rooms to the front side face a very busy and noisy street. The rooms to the back side are quiet, toward the beautiful hotel garden, and most of them provide the famous "Canaletto view" of the Elbe river with the skyline of the Baroque palaces and towers. Just great! It is only a five minutes walk across the Augustus bridge to the old town. It is also close to the railway station D-Neustadt (10 minutes walk or tram No 9 from the back exit of the railway station, turning left).

Moderately priced restaurants - the prices are usually lower than in West Germany or Italy or France. What sort of restaurants do you look for?

Local food:
Zum Schiesshaus Alte Schankwirtschaft, www.zum-schiesshaus.de ,Am Schiesshaus 19, a few steps from the Art'otel toward the Zwinger palace, a block to the right. very moderate!

Sophienkeller, in the cellar of Hotel Taschenbergpalais, vaulted ceilings, www.sophienkeller-dresden.de , a bit touristy, but good food and entertainment (singers, artists).

You should maybe do it as the locals do: go to a Beer garden at the Elbe river. Körnergarten and Schillergarten, beside the Blue Wonder Bridge both at the opposite banks of the river, are good choices.

Locals also like to go to the "Neustadt" quarter in the evening for dining and clubbing. I can give you addresses if you like to know.

Ingo
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

we are two 59 year olds, so we like some quiet, but also like some action...we prefer "good" food, rather than trendy food and like all styles and nationalities...main course of 10-15E would be an average but we are not opposed to less price if the food is good and we do not need atmosphere at meal times---we have that all day in touring....

hotels---thanks for the info...we thought that the art'otel might be fun, even if it not our usual style....they have a special for $337/ for 2 days, incl. breakfasts and one dinner and a dresden pass...thought that wasn't too bad given the location....will also look more at westin, although it is not too german i expect....

any other suggestions would be welcome

bob
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:59 AM

A main course for 10-15 Euro you will probably find in most of the restaurants in Dresden. Just a general tip: avoid the restaurants around Frauenkirche and Königstrasse/Hauptstrasse (on the opposite of the river)-tourist traps.

As you probably know the Dresden Pass offers unlimited use of trams and buses in the city. So you might want to take a tram and eat somewhere outside the city centre. Hubertusgarten e.g. is a good and moderately priced restaurant (tram No. 11 direction "Bühlau", stop "Betriebshof Bühlau", about 30 minutes by tram from Postplatz or Art'otel)

The price you quoted is not too bad, but ... not even cheap I think. When will you be in Dresden? July/August is low season and you might find better deals. But June, Sept/Oct is high season of course.

If you're looking for some old charm ambience (hotelwise) I highly recommend the previously mentioned Marthahaus. Definitely a good choice.
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

ingo--again thanks for your info...we will arrive in dresden on dec 1 and leave on dec 3---at least that is the current plan..
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:41 AM

That changes a lot. Early Dec is definitely peak season (Christmas Market!). So the art'otel offer sounds still more appealing. Jump on it as soon as possible! Be happy if rooms are available.

You have one dinner included, so you should go to the restaurant "Zum Schiesshaus" the other day.

Don't miss to visit the Christmas Market "Striezelmarkt" on the Altmarkt square, and the historical Christmas Market in the "Stallhof" yard, between the castle and the Frauenkirche church.
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

ingo---i now have the hotel reservation and have noted your good advice about the christmas markets---these markets are the oringinal reason for our going on this trip....we hope to also visit ones in berlin, munich, rothenburg o.b. tauber, nuremburg, and along the mosel if we find them and in between....can you suggest any that in your opinion are "the best" and not to be missed? also on our last trip to prague and the then east germany we visited the small town just over the german border called Steiffen...we had read that many of the wooden toys were made there...is it still a nice place to visit and to buy wooden items?? can you suggest another better place?? thanks for all of your great advice...
where do you live???

bob
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:40 AM
hsv

rhkkmk,

sorry in the first place for not being ingo...;-)
anyway, i have not visited every single one of the Christmas markets you mention, but I rather liked "Christkindlesmarkt" in Munich. The one in Nuremburg sort of has a reputation of being an "original" and I therefore had quite some expectations regarding it, which unfortunately were not met. It is a little too commercial for my taste with stalls that are very solid and thus do not allow smells (of candy, spices and so on) to flow across the market. I would even consider to skip it, if time is an issue on your trip.
With regards to Berlin, you will cerrtainly find some Christmas markets there, but in general the Northern half of Germany is not really famous for their Christmas markets- they seem to rather have adopted the tradition from the Southern regions.
Although out of your current itinerary, I keep advocating a visit to Hamburg to foreign visitors which is quite a contrast to the Southern regions which sort of dominate the image travellers to Germany develop. It is a rather beautiful, worldly city with lots of water and quite an interesting port and a good variety of restaurants and lodging options, as well as cultural life. The Christmas markets, however are rather small (but there is a really nice one in front of the town hall).
Anyway, have some fun while being in Germany- and for any further questions, feel free to post- i suppose ingo will gladly answer, too!
hsv
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Hi hsv, you're welcome to reply. (BTW, are you fan of HSV?)

Bob, I have been to Rothenburg and Nuremberg for visiting the Christmas Markets. I found them to be somewhat crowded and commercial (yes, hsv, I agree), but still beautiful. I think you must accept that the best Christmas Markets are crowded.

The mountains south of Dresden (Erzgebirge) are famous for Christmas markets and the wooden toys. Seiffen is probably the most famous. It is still a nice place where you can buy such things cheaper than on the Christmas Markets somewhere else. But you should avoid the big stores at the main street. My favourite, e.g., is a small family running workshop with store. You can find it if you walk the small street to the right of the church (don't miss a guided tour there) till the end. They manufacture the original nutcrackers. If you ask friendly they might show you the workshop and the process of manufacturing.

Another good town in the Erzgebirge is Annaberg-Buchholz, and Schneeberg is famous as well. Both have special events in December, but I don't know yet the exact dates.

I live in Dresden. Welcome!

Ingo
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:40 AM
hsv

hi ingo,

this is a little off topic- but you guessed it- I just got uncovered, I suppose;-)... yes, I am fan of HSV, sort of HSV- positive to take up a bad joke!

Since there is a partnership between your hometown Dresden and Hamburg, we might succeed in persuading our foreign visitors to also pay a visit to Hamburg, don't you think?
I have to make clear, though, that I would not suggest that, if I were of the opinion that it would not be worthwhile.
With regards to rhkkmk I will also point out, that I do admit that winter is not the ideal season to visit a maritime city like Hamburg if you consider the climate which can be chilly. But then again, you have the problem elsewhere, too, haven't you?

Regards to y'all
hsv
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

first to hsv---i have been to hamburg twice in the late 1960's or early 1970's as a us sailor...need i say more....i think i know all the bad places and of course some of the good places...i did enjoy it...i can remember vividly the huge, and i mean huge, floating dry dock in the harbor...i had never seen one so big before or since....hamburg another time when it is warmer....

ingo---thanks again for the great info...i am taking good notes....does the shop at the end of the lane in seiffen have a name?? or will it be obvious to me?? shall i say "ingo sent me"???? maybe you can get a commission like a tour guide????

do you have a favorite town along the mosel river? i have stayed one or two nites in kattenes about 10 years ago and would like to try another place....some suggestions have already been made but i always welcome more....
i think that we will have to meet you for a drink while in dresden to thank you for all of your help....
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

one additional thing...how long do you think it will take me to drive from prague to berlin, without any stops???

thanks bob
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:04 PM

rhkkmk~~Ingo is a wonderful spokesperson for the Dresden area. He gives solid advice and info. We took his advice last year for our trip to Dresden-enjoyed it very much and plan to go back.
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:33 PM

To auntgrapes - In fact I missed your first email, thanks for the second attempt. Great to hear you are planning to come to Dresden again. I am checking dates for opera and Christmas Markets. They play La Boheme on Dec 11 (too late for you?). I'll mail you Fri or Sat. My best, Ingo

hsv - Since we don't have a first class soccer team here in Dresden anymore I am also not much interested in soccer actually. Hamburg is in indeed a great city (and Germany's only cosmopolitan). I wish Dresden had more of Hamburg's spirit. Would be a good idea to visit both cities with one trip - the contrast of the sea (HH) and hills/sandstone rock formations (DD) is interesting.

Back to the original topic. Bob, it would take you driving from Prague to Berlin w/o stops about 4 to 5 hours, depending on weather and road conditions. You must buy a sticker for Czech motorways then. Pass the border at Zinnwald.

The shop in Seiffen is obvious. I'll try to find their name and address, though, and hopefully post them here. NO, don't mention my name (they recognise me from view, but not name). And I will definitely NOT get a commission!!

I am sorry, I cannot help with Mosel valley. Shame on me, I haven't been there yet.

Good idea to meet for a drink in Dresden. I would be glad if that works out. BTW, here is my email: ibrenn (at) web.de (you know that (at) stands for @)

Regards to all,

Ingo

BTW, today we had a holiday (ascension day) and I made an unforgettable paddle steamer trip on the Elbe river from Dresden to the hills southeast (Saxon Switzerland). Thought of you all, to my regret you could not enjoy the gorgeous scenery and picturesque villages as well.
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Ingo thanks for the additional info...i have made note of your e-mail and will write you when the time is closer so we may meet for a drink---how about Art'otel??
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:35 PM

rhkkmk-we maybe in Dresden at the same time. Would be fun to have a mini GTG with you and Ingo. By the way, we are your "neighbors"... we live approximately 90 miles south. Have you gotten a decent airfare to Germany in December ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -