Draft 4 day itinerary for Munich in March 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am headed to Europe for a month in March-April 2011. My first stop is Munich for 4 nights. Itinerary so far looks like this:

Arrival in Munich mid-morning on a Saturday, Schloss Nymphenburg. (Jet lag doesn't usually hit me that hard going East across the Atlantic, it is coming back that is problematic. Also, in March some of the building are closed, so I figure 3 hours should allow me to see most of it and if I understand the schedule, the gardens around it are still open after the palace itself is closed)

Sunday: Deutsches Museum, possibly some with just wandering around time as well.

Monday: Daytrip, undecided, with Ludwig's castles, Salzburg, Nuremburg, and Herrenchiemsee as possibles.

Tuesday: Dachau, Alte Pinokothek (late opening on Tuesday) Depending on how long Dachau takes, may try to fit Glypothek in as well.

Wednesday: Asamkirche, Fraenkirche, Mariemplatz, Residenz, and time permitting Englischer Garten

and from there on to Berlin.

Anything seem radically wrong?
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 06:37 PM

Haven't been to Munich before but researched a possible visit here, so take any suggestions with a bit of a salt grain.

You can indeed see a fair bit of what Salzburg has to offer as a day trip -- have indeed done this before, though from Vienna. Was able to visit the Hohensalzburg Fortress, the Dom and its small museum, Mozart's birthplace, the Mozart Wohnhaus, and the Mirabell Garden. Note that Salzburg's attractions are mostly close by each other. Lovely place to visit.

Ludwig II's castles are supposed to be excellent as well. Another possible day trip would be Innsbruck. Haven't been to either.

There are a lot of other art museums in Munich, though the Alte Pinakothek is supposedly the one to see if you only see one. There's a Neue Pinakothek and Pinokothek der Moderne nearby if you have time and/or interest.

The Residenz is supposedly the Munich palace to see if you only see one. Schloss Nymphenburg is also supposed to be excellent.
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 02:13 PM

Basically, you itinerary is very good.

I probably would put Nymphenburg into the "if I have time" category and do the schedule you now have set for Wednesday on the day of arrival. This way, if you get tired, you are right in the city; Nympenburg is a fairly long tram ride from downtown. In any event, make sure you plan for some some flexibility. For example, if the weather is glorious, head for you out of town places. You can visit the Deutsche Museum on an "iffy" day. - You can fit Dachau into a half-day schedule. I would rate the out-of town places you mention as follows: (1) Salzburg (2) King Ludwig's palace on the Herreninsel island of the Chiemmsee (train stop Prien) (3) Fuessen castles. For Salzburg, Prien and Fuessen, you can use the discounted Bayernkarte day train ticket, for EUR22. The rules: On weekdays start after 9AM, only Regio trains (no IC, EC, ICE), which doesn't make much difference in travel time on these short runs. Train schedules: On www.bahn.de

When I was in Muich in June, there was major retaurantion work going on on the Reidenz. DK how long that will last.
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM

Looks good to me with one glaring hole - no beer gardens of beer halls. Make sure you make room for those
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM

of course that should be "or beer halls"
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 06:38 PM

Four nights was what I spent in Munich in 2009, and I found it a very navigable city, with lovely mountain views. Your schedule seems doable, but I wonder about using a full day for the Deutsches Museum, while trying to do Dachau & Alte Pinokothek, with possibly the Glypothek, in one day. I think Dachau took me about 4 hours, including travel from central Munich.
However, I didn't see the Deutsches Museum, so it may be more extensive than I imagine. I'm not a science person, & I skipped the fine arts in Munich (I came from Venice & went to Vienna, so I "took a break" from great masters) & visited the Bavarian National Museum, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I didn't find the tram ride terribly long, but I agree that Nymphenburg is less "special" than the sites in central Munich. Although I did get a kick out of the Cabinet of Beauties.
I saw Salzburg as a "stop-off" en route to Vienna, so the equivalent to a day trip. The castle there is truly amazing, and "lovely" is the word for the area around the Dom. But, the Fuessen castles (which were my actual day-trip) have the ooooh factor. They're just so...ridiculously jaw-dropping, even when you've already seen the pictures. I'd have a hard time picking between them; I think it would depend on whether Mozart was a big factor for me. Salzburg, other than the castle, had a "Mozart theme park" feel for me. That's not a criticism-- Stratford is a "Shakespeare theme park", and I wouldn't have missed seeing it.
And I'm not much of a beer person, but I agree with november moon about the beer halls!
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

In terms of the day trip I may leave it open and let the weather decide. If the day is bright and sunny, then Herrenchiemsee, otherwise, Salzburg. The Fussen castles would be fun to see, but as I understand the history, all Neuschwanstein has ever been is a tourist attraction. Didn't know the Bayern day ticket would cover Salzburg, thanks treplow!

The reason for picking Nymphenburg for arrival day is that my tentative hotel pick (no reservations yet) is fairly close to it. Just how long is the tram ride from central Munich?

If I end up staying closer to downtown, then moving some of the Wednesday itinerary to Saturday (the garden and the churches) would work out. And if is the weather is bad, I could always go back to my original plan of Nymphenburg.

From the reading I have done, the Deustches Museum is very large and will take some time to see. However, the Bavarian National Museum is also open on Sunday (admittedly not particularly close by though), so possibly I can also go there if I end up having time.

Not much of a beer drinker, but it does seem wrong not to go to one while in Munich, so I will have to squeeze one in somewhere.

Anyway, I think I am relatively set now. On to planning Berlin!
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Deustches Museum is HUGE. Best to concentrate on what interests you. There are two more Museum associated with DM.
in other locations.
Dahau takes time :metro/bus... a long walk around....bus/metro.
We liked Modern museum :interesting building , great exhibits
on design .
There is a lot to see in Munich. We had 5 days and only made it to Dahau (out of town)